Scout wrestling team triumphs at Butler County Triangular

The wrestlers who won by fall, (top left-bottom right) sophomore Spencer Allen, freshman Dylan Vodicka, sophomore Dalton Krause, junior Noah Styskal, senior Melvin Hernandez, junior Justin White, and senior Matt Eilers, stand for a picture. When a Scout wrestler pins his opponent, he receives the pin chain photographed around White’s neck.

Allie Daro

The Scout wrestling team attended the Butler County Triangular at East Butler on Thurs., Jan. 12. The Scouts defeated the East Butler Tigers 63-9 and triumphed over the Aquinas Monarchs 49-26.

“We’ve been wrestling well,” junior Noah Styskal stated. “We only took 11 people [to the High Plains Invite], but we were still able to place in the top 5 at one of the toughest tournaments on our schedule. We can definitely continue to do well if we continue to wrestle well.”

The first dual of the night, David City vs. East Butler, began with the 138 weight class. Junior Justin White started the dual with a win over senior Ryley Spatz. East Butler retaliated with a win from 145-lb senior Dalton Bohac over junior Carlos Chavez.

The next weight was open for East Butler, allowing freshman Dylan Vodicka (152) to add to the Scouts’ team score. Sophomore Spencer Allen (160) wrestled the next match and pinned junior Colten Ratkovec, being the first wrestler of the night to receive the pin chain.

East Butler also had the 170-lb weight class open, so freshman James Escamilla became another contributor to the team score. Both teams had the 182-lb weight class open. Sophomore Wayne Moore (195) was beaten by senior Brandon Rezac in the next match.

The next two weight classes were open for the Tigers, and senior Matt Eilers (220) and freshman Jake Ingwersen (285) both received wins.

Sophomore Dalton Krause was the next to add to the scoreboard, defeating freshman Michael Polivka. The Tigers had the next two weight classes open, giving wins to senior Seth Styskal (113) and sophomore Zach Barlean (120).

Noah Styskal (126) had the next match, pinning junior Cody Heise. East Butler had the 132-lb weight class open, and sophomore Jacson Valentine took the final win of the dual.

“[The season] has been good,” White said. “We started off super strong. Hopefully we continue to wrestle well the rest of the season.”

After the Scouts’ 63-9 win over East Butler, the Scouts were set to face the Aquinas Monarchs. However, a push-up contest, hosted by Butler Believes in Youth and Community (BBYC), occurred between the first two duals.

Participants included David City Assistant Wrestling Coach Aaron Rerucha, East Butler Assistant Wrestling Coach Brent Orta, Aquinas Assistant Wrestling Coach Andrew Daro, Rising City Firefighter Monty Sanley, David City Firefighter Courtney Betzen, Butler County Deputy Ryan Jordan, and students Grant Kozisek, Brandon Timoney, Tie Hollendsworth, Blaine Orta, and Chance Rohda.

Kozisek and Daro won the competition, each receiving a trophy and a gift card for participating.

The Scouts started their next dual with two pins. Senior Melvin Hernandez (145) won by fall against freshman Nathan Junck and Vodicka against sophomore Ben Kment.

Allen (160) wrestled the next match, losing to senior Kyle Petree. The Monarchs also took the next three weight classes with senior Michael Coufal (170) winning by forfeit, junior Joseph Reimers (182) winning by pin over Escamilla, and senior Sam Wisnieski (195) beating Moore by major decision.

With Aquinas up 20-12, the Scouts won the next two matches. Eilers (220) defeated senior Anthony Buresh by fall, and Ingwersen (285) defeated sophomore Owen Schramm. Krause (106) was pinned by freshman Zach Zitek.

However, the Scouts took the rest of the matches. Seth Styskal (113) defeated freshman Noah Scott, and Barlean (120) won by forfeit. Noah Styskal (126), Valentine (132), and White (138) all pinned their opponents–senior Lance Dybdal, junior Creighton Redler, and freshman Nolan Eller, respectively–to finish the dual.

The Scouts’ win this year was their seventh Butler County Triangular win in Head Wrestling Coach Tahner Thiem’s seven years coaching here.

“All of our guys came out and were very aggressive, which I was very happy with,” Thiem stated. “[They were] always attacking and attacking from every position.”

The Aquinas vs. East Butler dual began with a win by forfeit for Kment (152) due to an open weight class for East Butler. Petree (160) defeated Ratkovec in the next match. The Monarchs, Coufal (170) and Reimers (182), also took the next two matches due to open weights for the Tigers.

At 195, Rezac defeated Wisnieski. The Tigers had two more open weights, giving Buresh (220) and Schramm (285) wins. Zitek (106) defeated Polivka in the next match, and Scott (113) won by forfeit, again due to an opening in East Butler’s roster.

Both teams had 120 open, and Dybdal defeated Heise at 126. Redler won at 132, again due to an open weight. Spatz (138) and Bohac (145) finished the night with wins over Eller and Junck, respectively.

“I think Butler County is a big wrestling county,” Thiem said. “Aquinas has great wrestling programs, East Butler has great wrestling teams, and so, to say that we have the best team in the county is something that our guys should take pride in, and they do.”

The Scouts also defeated Bennington 36-33 at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln on Fri., Jan. 12 and received first place at the Cross County Invite on Sat., Jan. 13. The Scouts will host their next invite on Fri., Jan. 19.

“I think [the rest of the season] will go well. I tell our guys not to look towards the end of the season, but rather look to every day. Don’t look towards the end of the season, look to every day and to try to get better on a daily basis,” Thiem said. “I think that we have the potential to do some very good things as a team if we can make the most of every day and get 1% better every day.”

• Scout wrestling team triumphs at Butler County Triangular

08.17.18

08.16.18

08.15.18

2018 DCHS Alumni Banquet

05.17.2018

2017-18 School Year

05.16.2018

Senior Signing Day 2018

DCHS track team puts three to State at District meet

Class of 2018 Graduation