Eagles top Scouts on home court

Scouts play tough defense during an Eagle possession. The Lady Scouts caused multiple five-second calls for the Eagles throughout the game.

Macy Svoboda

On Sat., Jan 6, the David City girls and boys basketball teams played at home against Milford. The Lady Scouts ended with a final score of 51-58. The boys had a final score of 31-70.

The Lady Scouts started the game off behind the Eagles as they took an early lead on the Scouts. The girls started to play strong defensively, earning a 12-12 tied score at the end of the first quarter.

The Scouts continued with their tough defense entering the second quarter, including a blocked shot and a five second call against the Eagles. Toward the end of the second, however, the Scouts had a few turnovers and fouls, which allowed the Eagles to score, ending the half 17-24.

The Scouts came out strong after halftime, getting closer to the Eagles with a score of 21-24. At the end of the third quarter the Scouts had a few turnovers and weren’t able to stop shots under the basket made by the Eagles. The score was 31-48 at the end of the third with the Scouts still down.

During the fourth quarter, freshman Maya Couch was brought in to help the Scouts press the Eagles. Due to strong defense, a strong press, and a few drives, the Scouts lost with a seven point difference, having a final score of 51-58.

“We played really well as a team. We kept pushing and working our hardest to stick with Milford, and we ended up playing a really good game defensively,” senior Chaquoya Givens said.

The boys played shortly after the girls’ game. Milford earned the tip-off at the start of the game, receiving a quick two points and a three pointer shortly after. Due to a few missed shots and a couple missed free throws, the Scouts trailed the Eagles 11-22 at the end of the first quarter.

Throughout the second quarter the Eagles played a tough defense which made it difficult for the Scouts to find a shot. More missed free throws by the Scouts only allowed for four points added to the scoreboard for them, ending the half down 15-39.

Right after halftime, sophomore Josh Seibert got a rebound, getting the ball to senior Colin Vandenburg for two, to start off the second half. Throughout the third quarter, however, the Eagles hit most of their shots and got a few steals from the Scouts, ending the third 21-61.

The fourth quarter then started with a running clock. The Scouts did get a couple steals and made a couple free throws, ending the game 31-70.

Recently the Scouts played against Malcolm, with the Lady Scouts losing 40-68. The Scout boys won their game against Malcolm 41-39. Both the Scouts girls’ and boys’ teams will play on Tues., Jan. 16 at Shelby-Rising City.

• Eagles top Scouts on home court

02.19.2018

• Eagles top Scouts on home court

Basketball team makes enormous strides for program, years to come

• Eagles top Scouts on home court

Story behind the success: DCHS wrestling

• Eagles top Scouts on home court

02.14.2018

• Eagles top Scouts on home court

Scouts face loss against Madison Dragons

• Eagles top Scouts on home court

02.13.2018

• Eagles top Scouts on home court

News

Quiz Bowl team faces losses at contest

• Eagles top Scouts on home court

02.12.2018

• Eagles top Scouts on home court

Opinion

Column: To speak or not to speak?

• Eagles top Scouts on home court

Would you rather…

Eagles top Scouts on home court