Column: Are you ready seniors?

David City High School seniors pose with their acceptance letters from colleges.  There are 44 seniors in the Class of 2018.

David City High School seniors pose with their acceptance letters from colleges. There are 44 seniors in the Class of 2018.

Hannah Farmer

Hannah Farmer

Hannah Farmer

The time has finally come for the class of 2018.  Upon entering senior year, some are pumped to cherish all those last memories of their last high school year, while others are just ready to get the heck out of here. However, what everyone doesn’t realize is that senior year isn’t all fun and games. Some might think freshman, sophomore, or even junior year of high school is stressful and hard.  Well, that is nothing compared to what senior year has in store for you.

Senior year is all about deciding what you are going to do for the rest of your life, where you are going to go, and just overall what kind of person you want to be. But how am I supposed to know what I want to do for the rest of my life when I can’t even decide what outfit to wear each day or what restaurant I want to go eat at? I have been accepted into college after college, and my mind still blanks on what path I should take.

What I don’t understand is that we as students go to school for over 12 years where teachers are supposed to prepare us for the real world and living on our own. They hammer English, math, science, and social studies concepts every year to help us in the future. But where are the classes that teach us how to live on our own or how to deal with any other challenges that come along with adulthood? We still need to learn our core concepts, but if we were offered more classes that helped us prepare for the future, I feel like more seniors would be more confident and prepared for the real world.

Before my senior year, I was confident and had a plan set on what I was going to do after high school. For years, I had envisioned myself as an early childhood/elementary teacher. I even started preparing my junior year and began talking to the admissions staff and counselors at Midland University to jumpstart my career. Then senior year hit me, and I got cold feet. I took a complete 360 and changed my career path. I am now planning to go into the profession of cosmetology and esthetics at the College of Hair Design and down the road obtain some kind of degree in business.   

Now, for the people who look into going directly into the workforce, I wonder how they will be able to handle it. I already know college is going to be a drastic change for seniors, however, going to college kind of allows you to get a routine and figure out how you are going to live your life before you get into working in your career field. When people go straight to the workforce they aren’t able to develop that routine, and they are still figuring out exactly what they want to do while working.  

As you can see, not everything goes as planned. However, just make sure to keep a positive outlook and open mind when applying to colleges, scholarships, and deciding your profession. Enjoy your senior year, make the memories last, and have fun riding the crazy rollercoaster that leads you to your destination in life.

• Column: Are you ready seniors?

01.18.2018

• Column: Are you ready seniors?

01.17.2018

• Column: Are you ready seniors?

Scout wrestling team triumphs at Butler County Triangular

• Column: Are you ready seniors?

01.16.2018

• Column: Are you ready seniors?

Opinion

Column: Year-round schooling presents disadvantages

• Column: Are you ready seniors?

01.15.2018

• Column: Are you ready seniors?

Eagles top Scouts on home court

• Column: Are you ready seniors?

News

Speech gains experience at home Early Bird competition

• Column: Are you ready seniors?

Opinion

Review: The Greatest Showman highly rated in box office, highly rated by me

• Column: Are you ready seniors?

01.12.2018

Column: Are you ready seniors?