Scout basketball teams face split results against Schuyler

Junior Luis Salazar dribbles the ball to get into the Scouts’ offense. Salazar leads the team in assists with 14 so far this season.

Allie Daro

The Lady Scouts defeated the Schuyler Warriors 58-32, and the boys’ team lost to the Warriors 55-49 on Fri., Dec. 15.

The Lady Scouts led Schuyler from the beginning of the game, finishing the first quarter with a 10-6 lead. They continued to improve that lead, scoring seventeen points in the second quarter and only allowing the Warriors to score nine. The Scouts had a 27-15 lead at half, but they didn’t let up.

“I think we had a lot of heart. We really wanted it really, really bad,” senior Jessica Knopp said. “I think we were all excited about the game, and we really wanted to win since we hadn’t won a game yet. I think we put our all in and didn’t hold back on anything.”

Continuing to expand the scoring gap in the second half, the third quarter was the best offensive quarter for David City. The Scouts tacked on nineteen points in the third quarter, and the Warriors only put up six.

With a 46-21 lead for the Scouts after the third quarter, the Warriors needed to close the scoring gap. While the fourth quarter was the highest scoring quarter for Schuyler with eleven points, the Scouts still put up twelve points and finished the game with a 58-32 win.

The biggest strength of the night was our press and how hard we trapped, took away face cuts, and played in the passing lanes. We learned how important ball pressure and playing in the passing lanes is,” Head Girls Basketball Coach Nathan Wall stated. “We are going to work very hard this week shooting the basketball and continue to build our defense so that we can improve our physicalness on the defensive side of the ball.”

The boys’ game was up next, and it began with a close first quarter. At the end of the first quarter, the Scouts were down 10-13. The second quarter continued in similar fashion, with the Scouts scoring eight points, and the Warriors putting up thirteen. At the end of the first half, the Scouts were down 18-26.

Coming back after half, the Scouts attempted to close the scoring gap. They scored twelve points in the third quarter, and the Warriors tacked on twelve also. In the fourth quarter, the Scouts managed to outscore the Warriors 19-17. However, the Scouts still fell short, and they were defeated by the Warriors 55-49.

“We need to put a few more baskets in the hole,” junior Will Danielson stated. “We had the lowest amount of turnovers we’ve had in a long time. We just need to keep improving our shots every day.”

The Scouts also played against the Lakeview Vikings on Sat., Dec. 16. Both teams were defeated by the Vikings, with the girls’ final score being 53-39, and the final score of the boys’ game was 57-28.

Both teams are looking to continue to improve before the NSAA Moratorium, and are preparing for upcoming games by continuing to have consistent effort, attendance, and work ethic.

“With the things we have the most control over: like consistent work ethic, attendance at practice, effort, and playing together, this team is the best team I’ve had in my four years of being a head boys coach, including the two years I coached at Loomis,” Head Boys Basketball Coach Cole Carraher said. “If that trend continues, it won’t surprise me at all if by the end of the season this is also the best team in terms of wins and losses.”

The next game for the Scouts will be at home against the East Butler Tigers on Thurs., Dec. 21. JV games will start at 4:30, with girls in the high school gym and boys in the elementary, with girls and boys varsity to follow in the high school gym, respectively.

• Scout basketball teams face split results against Schuyler

2018 DCHS Alumni Banquet

05.17.2018

2017-18 School Year

05.16.2018

Senior Signing Day 2018

DCHS track team puts three to State at District meet

Class of 2018 Graduation

05.15.2018

High School Honors Night 2018

05.14.2018