Diversity in school: A little taste of the world

Junior Evelyn Carreto and sophomore Daphne Vizcarra-Navarro chat before cheering at the basketball game. Carreto is Guatemalan and Vizcarra-Navarro is Mexican.

Allison Ramos

A student brings in a signature dish from where she is from. Tamales, pupusas, and tacos give students a different way to experience the different cultures in the world right in Spanish class.

The different cultures found at David City High School range from Pakistani to Native American. Though students may come from different backgrounds, the students at DCHS still feel welcomed and accepted. All the different cultures in the school among the students brings out a piece of their background.

Freshman Clayton Harris’s ethnicity is Pacific Islander and Asian. Harris said that one thing from where he’s from is that when you get food you must eat it all or nothing at all. Harris’s vision of diversity in the school is that there really isn’t any, but it’s good that we have some.

“I do feel respected and accepted for who I am because I don’t feel like I’m getting discriminated or anything, and people are very accepting of me,” Harris said.

Seventh grader Angel Carias has a background of being Salvadoran from both his parents’ sides. He says that most of the time he feels like he fits in, but there are times when he feels like he doesn’t. Carias comes from a family where both of his parents were brought into the United States from El Salvador when they were young kids.

“I think diversity is good or else it would be boring to just have all the same kind of people, so it’s nice to see the different cultures and the different kinds of people that there are in the school,” Carias said.

Senior Haleema Rehman is Pakistani. With many traditions and different things they do, the main is they celebrate Ramadan which is a holy month of fasting, introspection, and prayer. Rehman also explained that in her culture they also indulge in different foods, such a chicken curry. Chicken curry is chicken with an onion and tomato-base sauce.

“Whenever I tell someone where I’m from they always seem fascinated, so yes, I do feel accepted and respected for who I am,” Rehman said. “Everyone is really welcoming of me.”

Junior Eli Alvarado was born into a Puerto Rican family being 100% Puerto Rican. Alvarado believes that everyone should be accepted for who they are, and skin color doesn’t matter.

“I’ve been at schools my whole life where there is much diversity and not just one color of skin people,” Alvarado said. “It’s good to see diversity as you grow up because in the real world everybody is different.”

The different cultures and backgrounds amongst the school gives the school diversity.

“Seeing that everyone can just be who they are and not be judged by their skin color is nice to see in the school,” Alvarado said.

• Diversity in school: A little taste of the world

01.18.2018

01.17.2018

Scout wrestling team triumphs at Butler County Triangular

01.16.2018

Opinion

Column: Year-round schooling presents disadvantages

01.15.2018

Eagles top Scouts on home court

News

Speech gains experience at home Early Bird competition

Opinion

Review: The Greatest Showman highly rated in box office, highly rated by me

01.12.2018