DCHS math students participate in event devoted to math, competition, college experience

Seniors Jane M., Jonah S., and Ben D. compete in the second round of Math Bowl. They were asked 15 questions in a round and had to buzz in their answers in a short amount of time.

Maya P., Co-Editor

David City High School’s upper-level math class students attended the 25th annual University of Nebraska Lincoln Math Day held on Nov. 20 to compete in a mathematical tournament.

Advised by math teacher Jennifer Hein, 19 functions, statistics and trigonometry, pre-calculus and discrete mathematics, and calculus students traveled to UNL for a day of celebrating math and exploring the campus.

The day began with an orientation at the Nebraska Coliseum where four past winners were introduced and Joseph Francisco, the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, presented a welcoming speech to the 1,506 Nebraska students who attended.

Students were then led to the Union to take an hour long test of 25 questions called the Problems Requiring Original Brilliant Effort Exam (PROBE I). The top 40 students then moved on to a written exam (PROBE II), and the top ten of both exams were awarded a total of $34,000 in scholarship money to UNL. DCHS placed 8th against 21 other schools in their class.

“There’s a lot more to math than you think,” junior Dahlia V. said. “Those questions were a lot tougher than the ones you get in the classroom.”

After the test and a period of downtime, seniors Jane M., Ben D., and Jonah S. participated in the first round of Math Bowl against Auburn. DCHS’s team lost 2-4, then went on to lose 1-4 in the second round against Johnson County Central High School.

“Last year I kind of just sat there,” Ben said, “but being in regular quiz bowl helped me and I got more confident in the second round.”

This wasn’t the first time DCHS experienced this mathematical competition. Since the founding of the event in 1989, math teacher Amy Backstrom has been organizing students to attend Math Day.

Over the years, the attitude toward the experience hasn’t changed much.

“It made me respect math majors way more,” senior Emily W. said.