Senior makes Raspberry Pi

Senior Will Heller chooses which wire to add. The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a charity founded in 2009 to promote computer science.

Katie Tresler

Senior Will Heller frantically types across his keyboard, quickly putting up on the screen what’s seemingly a bunch of gibberish as he writes the code. He tests the response by clicking on the desktop before going back and changing the code, correcting what seems to be nonsense to get the results he wanted.

As a part of his project for the Zero-K Science Club, Heller knew he had to come up with an impressive project that wasn’t anything ordinary. He turned to the project known as Raspberry Pi.

Raspberry Pi is a credit card sized computer that is used for entrepreneurs and students to work on electronic projects that has consumed Heller’s time, requiring a lot of patience.

“I had no idea what a Raspberry Pi was, so it took him a while to convey what it was, and I thought it would be a good project to work on,” Zero-K Club Sponsor Ed Sieck said.

Heller explained that he found the project online while looking up DIY (do it yourself) projects. The Raspberry Pi is often used to control homemade electronic contraptions.

As with every hobby or project, there are the easy things and the hard things. Even with a few struggles, Heller has been able to work through it with little to no help.

“I would say the hardest part is operating on a system that I’m not used to,” Heller stated. “And creating code when it’s basically brand new to me, I don’t code much, especially on Linux.”

Even with his struggles, Heller has been powering through, working on this project without turning to others for help at every bump in the road.

“I helped look through the supplies and what we’re going to do with it, but most of the programming has been up to Will,” senior Zero-K club President Josh Escamilla stated.

Heller’s computer project will be added to a wind anemometer made by other members of the club. The wind anemometer will be used to calculate the wind speed.

“I’m excited to see it applied to real world projects rather than just tinkering,” Computer Technician Adam Ebbeka stated. “It made me want to get one for myself, so I put it on my Christmas list.”

Heller explained that he believed that anybody could do this project, but it would just take a lot of reading and trial and error.

“I’ve always had a fascination with how they [computers] work, what they can do, and what I can do with enough patience and practice,” Heller stated.

• Senior makes Raspberry Pi

12.15.2017

• Senior makes Raspberry Pi

Opinion

Column: True meaning of holiday hidden under the Christmas tree

• Senior makes Raspberry Pi

12.14.2017

• Senior makes Raspberry Pi

Diversity in school: A little taste of the world

• Senior makes Raspberry Pi

12.13.2017

• Senior makes Raspberry Pi

Scout wrestling earns victory at home dual

• Senior makes Raspberry Pi

12.12.2017

• Senior makes Raspberry Pi

12.11.2017

• Senior makes Raspberry Pi

Opinion

Letter to the editor: To those offended by the “pin chain”

• Senior makes Raspberry Pi

Hometown heroes do more than the eye can see

Senior makes Raspberry Pi