The seven letter word with a lot of meaning

The chart above shows the statistics for divorced families. About 40% of families are divorced in the United States.

Neleigh Kovar

Neleigh Kovar

Divorce. Everyday some students face the fact that their parents may not get back together because of divorce. According to American Psychological Association, about 40 percent of parents become single and families split up due to divorce.

Divorce is something that people don’t always look into, but sometimes it affects how students learn. Today some students look at school as just a place to go, but some students look at school as a safe place to go to get away from family problems.

“It didn’t really affect my schooling because I was young, but I do know students that do have their school lives affected by parents splitting up,” Math Teacher Amy Backstrom stated.

Most people think divorce is just when parents split, but to these kids it could be the end of their lives. Some have no idea what is going on and some understand what is happening, but why? Not many children want to have their parents split up for any period of time. Not only is there drama, but their parents are not together. Their household is now not just one, but two.

A lot of things changed,” sophomore Kirsten Bell said. “To this day it still is hard going back and forth from house to house. When it first happened, part of me remembers not really knowing what to do. Emotionally I still get upset about some things.”

Is divorce a good thing? “No” is the thought that more than likely runs through your head, but what if it is? What if divorce saves relationships, maybe not with the parents, but with the children? Who is getting custody of the kids? Is this really for the best? These are all questions that most of the kids think of when their parents explain the terrible news to them. Their family won’t be the same, but maybe it will be better.

“Although divorce is not something I would want my own kids to have to go through,  I understand that sometimes it is for the best,” senior Brooke Bell said. “My parents are a lot happier now that they are separate, and as a result, so are my sister and I.”

Divorce does exist, and there isn’t much people can do to avoid it. Some just have to sit back and let it happen because what else can they do? The real question to ask is, is divorce a good or bad thing?

• The seven letter word with a lot of meaning

12.15.2017

Opinion

Column: True meaning of holiday hidden under the Christmas tree

12.14.2017

Diversity in school: A little taste of the world

12.13.2017

Scout wrestling earns victory at home dual

12.12.2017

12.11.2017

Opinion

Letter to the editor: To those offended by the “pin chain”

Hometown heroes do more than the eye can see