November 2017 Students of the Month

Scoop Staff

Seventh grade: Avery Couch is the daughter of Cortney and Heather Couch of David City.  She has two older sisters, Olivia and Maya. Avery is very active in and out of school as she is in volleyball, basketball, track, FCA, and is a house leader. Avery doesn’t have much free time to herself with all her activities, but when she does she is in her room working on her studies.

Avery thought it was so amazing and cool she was chosen as a Student of the Month.  

“I feel I was considered Student of the Month because either I have good grades, or I am a respectful and responsible student,”  Avery said.  

Avery leads as an example to her fellow classmates by always putting forth her best effort to help someone out when they are struggling.  She also embraces her qualities that she thinks make her a good person by following the teacher’s rules and policies.

• What is your favorite Thanksgiving tradition?  I go to my grandparents’ house, and I get to spend time with my family and I never want to go home when I get there.
  • What is your favorite food to eat on Thanksgiving? My grandma’s favorite spaghetti corn

Eighth grade: Emily Johnson is the daughter of Eric and Rachael Johnson. She has five siblings, Braden, Elaina, Avery, Emerson, and Bentley. Emily is involved in many things including volleyball, basketball, track, FCA, and student leadership. Outside of school, Emily likes to spend most of her free time at home or being around friends.

When Emily found out she was chosen as Student of the Month, she was proud of herself. She thinks she was chosen because of how well she works inside of class and also because she helps fellow students when they need it. She respects everyone and participates in class discussions.

• What is your favorite Thanksgiving tradition? Going over to my grandma’s and having a Thanksgiving celebration
  • What is your favorite food to eat on Thanksgiving? Mashed potatoes

Freshman: Alex Rachow is the son of Nathan and Kymberli Blomenberg of David City. He is the only child. Alex enjoys football, wrestling, track, hunting, band, FFA, and FCCLA. He also explained that he spends most of his time at home or participating in athletic practices.

Alex believes he was chosen as Student of the Month because he is helpful, has good grades, completes all his school work, and is a good leader. He also believes that he is a leader inside and outside the classroom because he can easily take charge of large, diverse groups of people.

• What is your favorite Thanksgiving tradition? Meeting with all my family and my grandmothers
  • What is your favorite food to eat on Thanksgiving? Turkey

Sophomore: Brittney Palik is the daughter of Jeff and Lori Palik of David City and Shannon Stemple of David City. Brittney has five younger siblings: Jordan and Katie Palik, step-brothers Kennen and Parker Robinson, and half-brother Kai Stemple. Being the oldest child, Brittney feels she’s become responsible, independent, and outgoing, and those qualities make her a good person.

In school, Brittney is involved in cheer, Stay-U, FCA, and One-Act hair/makeup. She is also involved in 4-H. When Brittney has free time, she’s typically working at the Villa. Brittney thinks that she was selected for Student of the Month because of the effort she gives on schoolwork and because she’s a leader.

“I’d say I’m a leader because I always try to do what’s right and try to get others to do the same, and I always stand up for what I believe in,” Brittney stated.

• What is your favorite Thanksgiving tradition? Going to my grandpa’s house
  • What is your favorite food to eat on Thanksgiving? Pumpkin pie

Junior: Laurel Ockander is the daughter of Jarod and Sara Ockander of David City. She is the oldest of two children with one younger sister, Lydia. She is actively involved in FFA (vice president), 4-H, Job’s Daughters, band, Speech, One-Act, Quiz Bowl, and NHS.

Laurel feels that her friendliness, determination, and leadership skills allowed her to be selected as Student of the Month. She is also an avid helper to other students who may need it inside and outside of the classroom.

• What is your favorite Thanksgiving tradition: My favorite Thanksgiving tradition is always eating delicious food with my family, taking a nap, and then going Black Friday shopping during the Husker football game.
  • What is your favorite food to eat on Thanksgiving? I really enjoy green bean casserole and especially the desserts!

Senior: Olivia Couch is the daughter of Courtney and Heather Couch of David City. She has two younger sisters, Maya and Avery. Olivia is involved in volleyball, basketball, track, SCOOP, One Act, NHS, and Student Council. She spends her free time hanging out with friends or family and editing photos.

When finding out the news, Olivia felt very honored to have earned Student of the Month again. She always wants to better herself as a student and as an individual. Olivia is able to take criticism and learn from it, but also help others achieve their goals. She is a leader because she always asks a lot of questions, it helps her get practice in each subject, and it benefits everyone. Olivia is always there to start a study group or create a Quizlet to help others. She believes she is a good person because she is friendly and approachable. People feel open to coming to her for help, and she loves providing it.

• What is your favorite Thanksgiving tradition? It’s not really a tradition, but I think it’s something unique. My family has Thanksgiving supper (lunch) instead of dinner. It makes for a good nap in the afternoon for everyone.
  • What is your favorite food to eat on Thanksgiving? Oh goodness. My grandma is an amazing cook so it’s hard to pick just one. I’d say either the ham, the corn casserole, or the stuffing.
  • November 2017 Students of the Month

01.07.19

• November 2017 Students of the Month

01.04.19

• November 2017 Students of the Month

01.03.19

• November 2017 Students of the Month

Scout wrestlers “learn to wrestle under pressure”

• November 2017 Students of the Month

News

DCHS music students spread holiday cheer at annual concert

• November 2017 Students of the Month

12.20.18

• November 2017 Students of the Month

12.19.18

• November 2017 Students of the Month

12.18.18

• November 2017 Students of the Month

12.17.18

• November 2017 Students of the Month

Scouts split against Panthers

November 2017 Students of the Month