Aquinas hosts array of performances for annual triangular

Helen (bottom right; played by senior Bethany Tebbe), Pride (top right; depicted by senior Sarah Wolfenden), Envy (top left; portrayed by junior Carter Ossian), and Lust (depicted by bottom left; senior Renee Backstrom) attempt to convince Dr. Faustus (center; played by senior Jackson Hardin) to give his soul to the devil. Pride, Envy, and Lust are three of the seven deadly sins, all of which are portrayed in “The Tragical History of Dr. Faustus”.

Allie Daro

Aquinas hosted David City and East Butler for the twelfth annual Butler County Arts Council Triangular on Thurs., Nov. 16.

Directed by Ann Heerman, the Aquinas One-Act cast consisted of twelve actors. Aquinas opened with their rendition of Little Shop of Horrors. In Little Shop of Horrors, Seymour, played by senior Will Yindrick, works at Mr. Mushnik’s florist shop in a bad part of town. Mr. Mushnik, portrayed by sophomore Travis Roh, and Audrey, depicted by senior Sarah Juranek, are also in the shop often.

The play follows Seymour’s life over a few weeks after he buys a “strange and interesting plant”, names it the Audrey II, and hopes that it will boost sales for the shop. However, Audrey II (puppeteered by senior Nathan Uhrmacher and freshman Jude Yindrick; voiced by junior Eli Reiter) has a unique appetite that Seymour struggles to keep up with.

East Butler, directed by Courtney Johnson, was the next school to perform. In their portrayal of Dear Chuck, all thirteen of their actors search for “Chuck”. While some characters believed “Chuck” is a little brother or a friend, the cast eventually comes to find that “Chuck” is actually a moment of sureness in self-identity. Each actor, whether looking into colleges, trying to fit in, or struggling with dating, represented different teens in their search for their own “Chuck”.

David City’s performance of The Tragical History of Dr. Faustus was the final play of the night. Due to the nature of the subject matter, warnings were given about the content, use of simulated weapons and smoke machines, and the potential to frighten children.

“It was a good experience to get another performance in in front of a crowd and to see other performances as well,” senior Jackson Hardin said. “I think that that was probably one of our more aggressive performances. We weren’t intimidated by the other teams, and we shouldn’t be, so I was happy with that.”

The Tragical History of Dr. Faustus is based on the literary classic by Christopher Marlowe. In David City’s version of the play, the 28 actors portray characters such as Dr. Faustus, Helen, Mephistophilis, Lucifer, the Seven Deadly Sins, many evil spirits, and three good angels.

The play follows Dr. Faustus, played by Hardin, as he becomes dissatisfied with his holy life and wants to give in to earthly pleasures. Helen, portrayed by senior Bethany Tebbe, and Mephistophilis, played by senior Will Heller, serve Faustus. Unfortunately, Faustus’s time on earth draws to a close, and he learns the dark nature of his deal with Lucifer (senior Josh Escamilla): Faustus will have to give up his soul and perish in hell.

“The team seems to be coming together, and the crew and makeup have improved,” One-Act Director Jarod Ockander said. “Our cast keeps getting better, and our sound and lights people have been easy to work with.”

In between performances, there were also cookies, bars, and drinks provided by Union Bank & Trust. Audience members could enjoy the snacks while the crews of each play set up the sets.

David City also recently performed at a “Critique Day” on Sat., Nov. 18 at Wausa. Their next performance will be on Fri., Dec. 1 at Districts in Milford.

“I’m really excited to see where we end up by the end of the season and just to see how far we will have come, but I really don’t want One-Act to be over,” Tebbe stated.

• Aquinas hosts array of performances for annual triangular

12.15.2017

Opinion

Column: True meaning of holiday hidden under the Christmas tree

12.14.2017

Diversity in school: A little taste of the world

12.13.2017

Scout wrestling earns victory at home dual

12.12.2017

12.11.2017

Opinion

Letter to the editor: To those offended by the “pin chain”

Hometown heroes do more than the eye can see