Winter sports on the way

The wrestlers compete at their first competition on Dec. 2. The Scout wrestlers have worked on many techniques throughout their practices, including shooting.

Macy Svoboda, Co-Editor

On Sun., Nov. 12 David City High School had its annual Winter Sports Kickoff. The kickoff started with coaches and athletes that were introduced and given the opportunity to say a few words regarding their upcoming seasons. After the introductions, each team had their separate parents’ meeting. Following the parents’ meeting was a dinner served by the Booster Club.

During the meetings the coaches went over the handbooks with the parents and talked about the upcoming season. The Scouts girls’ basketball team is coached by Nathan Wall. This will be Walls’ fourth year as head coach. This year Wall has three goals he is hoping the team can accomplish: be competitive in every game, improve effort and intensity with each practice, and make the last game of the season the best game.

What I am looking forward to the most this season is the fact that we are in ‘Year Two’ of playing in our system both offensively and defensively,” Wall said. “This summer I saw huge strides in our overall play within this system.”

On the other side of basketball is the boys’ basketball team. The boys’ team is coached by Cole Carraher, who is in his second year as head coach. Carraher’s overall goal for the team this season is to be more competitive than last year’s team. He said that goal includes improving their 6-16 record from last year, as well as narrowing the point margin from games they lost last year.

“Our guys do want to establish an identity of being able to play a fast-paced game,” Carraher said. “That will mean us playing a tough, pressure defense, and of course pushing the ball up the floor quickly on most offensive possessions.”

Wrestling is the other winter sport DCHS has. Wrestling is coached by Tahner Thiem. This will be coach Thiem’s seventh year as head coach. While Thiem has coached DCHS wrestling, he has been a part of two state championships, one runner-up, and has won three state dual championships.

At this point in the season, our goal is for every individual to get 1% better everyday,” Thiem said. “I don’t think the big goals can happen without making sure the fundamentals are in place first.”

Both girls’ and boys’ basketball teams started their seasons off on Mon., Nov. 20 in their Jamboree game against Palmyra. They will start their official season on Thurs., Nov. 30 when they play at home against Centennial.  The wrestling team will begin their season at their first meet on Sat., Dec. 2 at the York Invite.

• Winter sports on the way

2018 DCHS Alumni Banquet

• Winter sports on the way

05.17.2018

• Winter sports on the way

2017-18 School Year

• Winter sports on the way

05.16.2018

• Winter sports on the way

Senior Signing Day 2018

• Winter sports on the way

DCHS track team puts three to State at District meet

• Winter sports on the way

Class of 2018 Graduation

• Winter sports on the way

05.15.2018

• Winter sports on the way

High School Honors Night 2018

• Winter sports on the way

05.14.2018

Winter sports on the way