October 2017 Students of the Month

Scoop Staff

Seventh Grade:  Courtlyn Keeling is the daughter of Shane and Kelcie Keeling of David City.  She has one brother, Creighton, who is in fourth grade.  Courtlyn is actively involved in sports and clubs inside and outside of school.  She participates in volleyball, basketball, soccer, band, 4-H, and a summer book club.  When she has a chance to breathe, Courtlyn likes to spend her free time practicing the sports she is involved in, practicing her violin, reading, relaxing, or hanging out with friends and family.

Courtlyn was very surprised when she found out she was the Student of the Month.  She had always heard of other people becoming Student of the Month, but she never thought that should would ever be one.  Courtlyn believes she was considered for it because she finishes her work on time, gets good grades, has a good attitude in class, and encourages others.  Courtlyn also says she shows her leadership qualities by trying to help others, encouraging people to do better, and never putting anyone down.  She says she tries to look for the good in everyone and wants to make sure everyone is always included inside and outside of the classroom.

• What is your favorite part about fall? My favorite part about fall is the cooler weather, changing colors of the leaves, and all the different scents that come with the fall season
  • What are you planning on dressing up as for Halloween? I am not sure as to exactly what I want to dress up as for Halloween, but I have considered dressing up as a taco!?   

Eighth grade: Neely Behrns is the daughter of Brian and Traci Behrns of David City. Neely is the younger sister of Hunter Behrns and the older sister of Kamryn Behrns. She participates in volleyball, basketball, track, student council, and FCA. Neely enjoys spending most of her free time being active and doing sports related activities.

Neely believes she was chosen as Student of the Month because she is a good leader, hard worker, and she is very determined. She believes she works hard and gives her best effort in everything she does. Neely considers herself a leader inside and outside of the classroom because she helps everyone to the best of her ability.

• What is your favorite part about fall? Colors and leaves
  • What are you planning on dressing up as for Halloween? Probably an animal

Freshman: Clayton Harris is the son of Ben and Rosalind Harris of David City. Clayton is involved in many activities inside and outside of school including FCA, wrestling, track, cross country, One-Act, Speech, and soccer. When Clayton has free time, he spends it with his friends and family as well as studying.  

Clayton feels he was considered Student of the Month because of his academics and work ethic. He feels he is a leader because he isn’t afraid to speak and project his voice. Clayton believes he is a good person because he is honest and willing to help people with their problems.

• What is your favorite part about fall? Halloween candy
  • What are you planning on dressing up as for Halloween? Nothing specific

Sophomore: Chase Romshek is the son of Greg and Michelle Romshek of Bellwood. He has three siblings, Kirsten, Emma, and Brett. Chase is planning on joining the Teammates program and also Stay-U.

Chase feels he is a good person and always tries to make everyone feel like they are worth something. He feels he is a leader inside and outside of the classroom by being supportive and helping people when they need it. When Chase found out he was Student of the Month, he was surprised. He thinks he was considered Student of the Month because he tries to help everyone the best he can.

• What is your favorite part about fall? Putting up all of the Halloween decorations
  • What are you planning on dressing up as for Halloween? My idea is to run around with some of my friends, be crazy, and have fun.

Junior: Macy Svoboda is the daughter of Randy and Barb Svoboda of David City. Macy is the second oldest of four children. She has an older sister, Bailey, a younger brother, Reese, and a younger sister, Rylan.

Macy is involved in many activities including volleyball, basketball, track, Speech, STAY-U, and FCA. She is also a member of the Platinum Dance team, the SCOOP staff, and National Honor Society. Her involvement is one of the reasons she was chosen for Student of the Month, along with her effort, work ethic, and encouragement in and out of the classroom. When Macy’s not at school or an event for one of her activities, she enjoys spending time with her friends and family or sleeping.

• What is your favorite part about fall? My favorite part about fall is the cooler weather.
  • What are you planning on dressing up as for Halloween? Myself

Senior: Haleema Rehman is the daughter of Gulfam and Fazal Rehman of David City. She is sister to Zenab, Sumera, Adeela, Sara, and Waleed. Haleema is currently not involved in any school activities this year so instead she uses that free time to spend time with her family.

“I think some qualities that makes me a good person are that I respect teachers and students, I am responsible as a student, I like to care about others, and I am generally a nice person,” Haleema said.

Haleema was shocked to find out that she was chosen for Student of the Month. She likes to help out her classmates and tries to always give her best effort on her assignments and projects.

• What is your favorite part about fall? My favorite part about fall is the leaves changing colors.
  • What are you planning on dressing up as for Halloween? I don’t really plan on dressing up.