Scouts finish season with a win

The Scouts’ line sets up before the snap. The North Bend game was the Pink-Out game for football, so all of the players wore pink socks.

Allie Daro

The David City High School football team defeated the North Bend Tigers 20-12 in their final game of the season on Fri., Oct. 20.

Because it was Parents’ Night, the evening began a bit differently than normal for the Scouts. Parents of seniors Matt Eilers, Riley Kirby, Seth Styskal, Colin Vandenberg, and Niclas Voigtlaender were announced with a procession on the track and were given carnations.

The other football parents were recognized with carnations before the youth football teams were acknowledged. The youth football teams also joined the Scouts for the starting line-up.

Once the game began, the Scouts gained a quick lead, scoring the first touchdown 6:53 into the first quarter. Junior captain Justin White ran for 11 yards to put the first points on the scoreboard. The point after touchdown attempt was kicked by junior Doug Alvarado and extended the Scouts’ lead to 7-0.

Other highlights of the first quarter included junior captain Will Danielson connecting with fellow junior Nick Ruth for a 17-yard gain, followed by a 15-yard penalty (defensive face mask) on the Tigers.

Both teams scored in the second quarter; however, the PAT was good for the Scouts, and the Tigers had an incomplete pass on their attempt at a two-point conversion. The Scouts’ touchdown occurred when junior Luis Salazar received an 8-yard pass from Danielson after a 70-yard drive.

The second quarter also consisted of 15+ yard passes from Danielson to Vandenberg and Ruth, a 40-yard pass to White, an 18-yard run for sophomore Clayton Denker, and an interception by sophomore Hunter Behrns.

At halftime, the scoreboard read 14-6 in favor of the Scouts, and the Platinum Dance team and Scout marching band both performed.

The second half began with the Scouts’ defense forcing a turnover on downs. The next offensive possession for the Scouts contained a pass from Danielson to sophomore Josh Seibert for 17 yards and a drive into field goal range. Alvarado attempted a 40-yard field goal, but it was no good.

The first play of the Tigers’ possession led to an interception for Vandenberg, and the Scouts possession led them to field goal range again. However, the 25-yard field goal attempt by Alvarado was no good. Neither team scored in the third quarter, so it ended with a score of 14-6.

Both teams played with urgency. Both teams missed on some opportunities,” Head Coach Cortney Couch said. “But in the end, we were able to push them around in the fourth quarter, and we scored with 16 seconds left. Then, our defense got a stop on four consecutive plays, and we won the game.

The Tigers scored in the final quarter, but the pass on their two-point conversion attempt was incomplete. The scoreboard stayed at 14-12 for the majority of the time remaining.

With 16 seconds left on the clock, White ran for 10 yards to score. Alvarado’s PAT was no good, and the game’s final score was 20-12, adding a win to the Scouts’ record.

[The season] was a completely positive experience. That being said, for the guys coming back, I hope they’re not satisfied. I hope they want to build on what we’ve done, and take steps forward in the offseason,” Couch stated. “For the seniors, I hope they look back with pride on the leadership they showed, the work ethic they displayed, and the culture that they helped to create.”

The Scouts will lose five seniors: Eilers (captain), Kirby, S. Styskal, Vandenberg (captain), and Voigtlaender. The team finished the season with a 2-7 record and hopes to continue to improve for next year.

“It felt good to go out with a win, but it’s sad that I won’t be able to play with these boys anymore,” Vandenberg said.

• Scouts finish season with a win

12.15.2017

• Scouts finish season with a win

Opinion

Column: True meaning of holiday hidden under the Christmas tree

• Scouts finish season with a win

12.14.2017

• Scouts finish season with a win

Diversity in school: A little taste of the world

• Scouts finish season with a win

12.13.2017

• Scouts finish season with a win

Scout wrestling earns victory at home dual

• Scouts finish season with a win

12.12.2017

• Scouts finish season with a win

12.11.2017

• Scouts finish season with a win

Opinion

Letter to the editor: To those offended by the “pin chain”

• Scouts finish season with a win

Hometown heroes do more than the eye can see

Scouts finish season with a win