Calling all ghouls, goblins to donate canned goods

Junior+NHS+member+Allie+Daro+places+ghost+posters+around+the+whole+school.+The+posters+help+promote+the+campaign.+

Macy Svoboda

Junior NHS member Allie Daro places ghost posters around the whole school. The posters help promote the campaign.

Macy Svoboda, Co-Editor

Every year the National Honor Society members hold a Scare Hunger Away campaign. This campaign allows students and staff to dress up for Halloween during the school day. In order for participants to dress up, they must bring two canned foods or two dollars. These donations will be given to those in need, allowing them to have food in their pantry.

There are many little posters of white ghosts hung up around the school, helping promote the campaign. Along with the ghosts are daily announcements, reminding students to dress up.

“Donating and dressing up is important because we need to show our youth how important it is to give to others,” NHS sponsor Tiffany Heins said. “If we all play our part and donate to our cause, we could significantly impact others’ lives.”

Every year the students who dress up are voted on to win different prizes depending on their category. This year the categories consist of: most creative, scariest, funniest, best duo or group, and best dressed faculty member. All the categories are separate for boys and girls.

Since the Scare Hunger Away campaign happens every year, NHS is always trying to get more donations and more people involved. Looking at past years, Heins thinks the reason for having limited donations has been due to the lack of participation as well as students dressing up but not donating.

NHS members are trying to encourage as many students as possible and will be stationed at every entrance of the school on Halloween morning to take donations as students come to school.

It [donating] helps provide for people who are less fortunate so they can enjoy a warm holiday meal just like we do,” Senior NHS member Lauren Hoeft said.

NHS has a goal to accumulate donations of at least 100 dollars or 100 cans of food. Help them achieve their goal and dress up for Halloween on Tues., Oct. 31.