Lady Scouts look to end “roller coaster”, improve consistency

Olivia Couch

Allie Daro

The Lady Scouts volleyball team was defeated in three sets by the Twin River Titans on Tues., Oct. 3. The home game was also the seventh annual “Pink Out.”

Beginning the game, the Scouts gained a quick 4-0 lead. However, Twin River evened up the score after battling with the Scouts, and ended up with a lead of 13-6 in the middle of the first set.

Although the Titans had a significant lead, the Scouts continued to battle back and closed the gap in the score. After the Scouts’ push for points, Twin River sided out for a lead of 18-16, and finished the set 25-18.

“I think that we hit a lot of high points, and we did well during those high points,” senior Bethany Tebbe said. “But we need to work on consistency.”

The start of the second set was another fight for the top, until the Scouts gained a 4-3 lead and continued to expand the gap to 9-3 before the Titans recovered. The teams’ struggle to be ahead continued well into the second set. Eventually, Twin River took a 15-14 lead, and, after controlling the serve for the majority of the end of the set, won the second set 25-19.

A battle for the ball began in the third set. An unexpected change to the Scouts’ lineup also came toward the beginning of the set when freshman Payton Andel, David City’s starting setter, left the court due to an injury.

“It was more challenging in the third set, but I think Renee did a good job stepping into the setter’s position,” Tebbe stated. “Overall, the whole team did a good job of adjusting to not having Payton.”

Even with an unfamiliar line up, the Scouts kept the game close with neither team taking and securing a lead until the Titans held the serve, beginning at an 11-11 tie. Twin River maintained their lead until the end of the set, winning 25-19.

“The season has been a roller coaster. We have yet to find the consistent fire within the team,” Head Volleyball Coach Emily Maresh said. “The girls have made many improvements, just from the beginning of the season, and they are always willing to try new things.”

The Scouts also played at a triangular with Fairbury and Sutton on Thurs., Sept. 5 at Fairbury. The Scouts lost to Fairbury in three sets: 18-25; 25-22; 22-25, and then defeated Sutton in three sets: 24-26; 25-15; 25-21.

Hoping to improve with consistency and continue to better themselves as a team, the Lady Scouts will play at Heartland on Tues., Oct. 10 with Reserves beginning at 5:00 p.m. and JV and Varsity to follow, respectively.

• Lady Scouts look to end “roller coaster”, improve consistency

12.15.2017

Opinion

Column: True meaning of holiday hidden under the Christmas tree

12.14.2017

Diversity in school: A little taste of the world

12.13.2017

Scout wrestling earns victory at home dual

12.12.2017

12.11.2017

Opinion

Letter to the editor: To those offended by the “pin chain”

Hometown heroes do more than the eye can see