Scout runners push to improve before end of season

Junior Justin Escamilla and sophomore Dalton Krause sprint to finish the course. Escamilla finished with a time of 20:28 and Krause with a time of 20:29.

Renee Backstrom

The David City High School cross country team competed in the “pink out” meet on Thurs., Sept. 28 at the Aquinas Invite held at the David City Golf Course.

The DCHS runners consist of juniors Carter Ossian, Miles Svoboda, and Justin Escamilla; sophomore Dalton Krause; and freshman Clayton Harris.

The junior high runners include eighth grader Tre Daro and seventh graders Braxton Small, Mitchell Shanahan, Ava Schlotfeld, and Ashley Villalba. The team is coached by Brian Hermelbracht and Assistant Coach Matt Fowler.

To prepare for their meets, Hermelbracht keeps a set practice routine for consistency. You will see the runners all over town in the heat or the rain.

“On Mondays we will do speed work, running timed miles, accumulating around four to five miles,” Hermelbracht said. “Tuesdays are our long distance days, running somewhere around six to eight miles. The day before the meet we will run two to three miles with a little speed work. The day after the meet we will do three to four miles. They will then do long runs on their own during the weekend.”

The Scout runners placed eleventh as a team at the Aquinas Invite. The runners kept a consistent pace with each other in the order of Escamilla at 20:28, Krause at 20:29, Ossian at 20:53, Svoboda at 21:08, and Harris at 22:02.

“In our upcoming events I hope to get our times down, raise our confidence as a team, drop our times, and peak at the end of the season,” Ossian said.

The junior high team ran a 1.6 mile course before the high school meet. Daro was the highest place for the Scouts earning tenth place with a time of 9:07.  

The team recently competed at Conference where they finished eighth overall. They will be seen next at Districts on Thurs., Oct.12.