One-Act and the Backpack Program unite for a two-for-one deal

Senior Jake K. and sophomore Becca M. rehearse their lines for the first scene. The two will be performing the main characters as brother and sister.

Kasey S.

Looking for a place to get scrumptious sweets and live entertainment? The Backpack Program is teaming up with the One-Act cast and crew by hosting a dessert auction the evening of the public One-Act performance on Nov. 13 in the high school Activities Center. Tables will also be set up for personal seating.

Starting at 6:30 p.m. the desserts will be displayed for a silent auction. A live auction of featured desserts will also begin and will end at 7:15 p.m. to allow everyone to be seated for the One-Act performance at 7:30 p.m.. After the performance there will be an additional 10 minutes to finish bids on the silent auction before the highest bidder is announced.

In addition to the dessert auctions, the One-Act team will be performing their rendition of “The Crayon Map” by Oliver Leslie and Christopher Marianetti.The play is about an imaginary world created by a little girl and the adventure she and her older brother must take to face reality. From Spanish flowers, to talking fish, to crazy doctors, the performance ends with a dramatic twist that you will have to attend to experience.

The team has spent hours rehearsing, memorizing lines and getting into character. Practices have been held in the morning and after school to prepare for the performance.

“I suggest that the actors put themselves in a scenario in which they can relate to the feelings,” One-Act coach Jarod Ockander said. “In this way, the acting can hopefully maintain a high degree of realism.”

Along with the actors, other contributors have taken the time to prepare for the performance. Elementary art teacher Lori Meusch and third grade teacher Sara Ockander have worked primarily on the costumes with the help of elementary paraeducator Lisa Buntgen, elementary secretary Jane Trowbridge, second grade teacher Emily Schwartz, and Angie Frier, mother of junior Riven P. and sophomore Iris P. Additionally, industrial technology teacher Tahner Thiem’s construction class built a small house which will be incorporated into the play’s set.

Ockander said that he hopes to win Conference for the fourth consecutive year and move onward to win Districts and compete at State.

“York’s beaten us the last two years, and we have to go there for Districts, so the challenge will be great,” Ockander said.

Teaming up with the Backpack Program is an opportunity to give back to students in need, and hopefully the audience can enjoy some great dessert.

The Backpack Program is an organization of volunteers who raise funds to provide families in need with the opportunity to take home a backpack filled with a main dish, a side dish, and snacks for the weekend. The organization has been helping families for the past three and a half years. This year they are providing backpacks for 30-40 families. The program costs between $6,000 and $8,000 annually.

Backpack Program volunteer Tricia Romshek contemplated the idea to team up after being part of another fundraiser she was associated with at Shelby High School. She decided it would be a great way to get more people to come out and support both organizations.

“I hope that throughout the years it can become a fun night for the community that supports a cause and it will become bigger and better,” Romshek said.

Desserts for the night have been donated from staff and various community members. Along with the dessert auction, there will be tables available for purchase for the One-Act performance. The tables will be located in the front row and can be purchased for $25.

Anyone wanting to donate a dessert or purchase a table should contact Tricia Romshek at [email protected].