Column: Advice to make the most of classes

Allie Daro

Everyone has a class, or classes, that are harder or less interesting to them. Some people’s minds are geared toward math or science, and for others, English or art makes more sense. As an older sibling, I have been asked for advice about teachers and classes more than once.

Personally, I find math and science easy, but there are certain lessons I don’t find interesting. In science, one of my favorite things is doing experiments because they’re hands-on and detail-oriented. I also love solving math equations, whether in science or math class, because there’s a set answer every time, and it’s repetitive.

Although it may sound like my brain is more geared toward STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math), I also find reading and writing easy. Unfortunately, I get bored quickly if I’m not changing up what I’m doing or if I don’t find the book we’re reading very interesting. History classes are similar to English in that I become uninterested if I’m focused on one time period for too long. Some units of history almost always capture my interest, such as the Holocaust and more obscure historical events that I might not have learned about yet.

Other classes I enjoyed were Child Development and the FCS classes I took in middle school. I really liked how many hands-on activities we did.

If I had to choose a class that was hard for me, I’d say art because I’m more left-brained than right-brained, or more logical than creative. I wasn’t great at coming up with ideas of what to paint, or the sketching itself, and that really frustrated me.

Plantopoly was another class that was difficult for me because I don’t have much of an interest in plants or farming. It was fairly interesting due to the fact that I didn’t have any knowledge of the material going into the class, but that also made it hard for me. Plantopoly was another class where I became frustrated because it took me a while to catch on.

Regardless, I understand that everyone prefers different classes, and classes that are easy for me might be the most difficult for others. If I had to play devil’s advocate, I could understand why some people are annoyed by the strictness of carrying out a science experiment, or why they can’t stand learning dates in history class. Sometimes, paying close attention to detail just becomes too tedious. I also see the value in reading from different genres, whether they bore me or not, and learning details of historical periods in-depth.

Overall, I think every class is going to depend on how much effort you put into it. As cliche as it sounds, you truly will get out of school what you put in.

• Column: Advice to make the most of classes

Elementary students gain confidence with youth football program

News

FCCLA members learn valuable insights at conference

10.18.2017

News

Fields of Faith: We play as one

Opinion

Column: Random drug tests gain speed in Nebraska high schools

10.17.2017

10.16.2017

10.13.2017

News

Outdoor movie night moved inside; does not dampen moods.

10.12.2017