FCCLA members find inspiration at the Fall Leadership Workshop

Front Row (left to right): Sidnee Busch and Bryanna McAuley. Back Row (left to right): Kennen Robinson, Madison Soukup, Cole Martinez, and Isabel Small.

Courtesy Photo

Courtesy Photo

Hannah Farmer

A group of students attended the Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) Fall Leadership Workshop (FLW) at the Buffalo County Fairgrounds in Kearney on Wed., Sept. 13.  

Every year the FLW is held in Kearney on the third Wednesday of September with over 600 members from chapters in the eastern part of the state attending.  FCCLA finds Kearney to be the most convenient and cost efficient facility to hold their conferences.

At the FLW, members listened to a special guest speaker and participated in different informative sessions.  This years keynote speaker was Hunter Radenslaben, the founder of Athlete Nation.  Radenslaben created the successful Twitter account as a 12-year-old and aspires to share the potential on how young people can use their power on social media to change the world for the better.  

After the speaker, members were broken down into different groups:  new members, Chapter officers, and next level officers.  These sessions provided members with information that  would help them become more successful in the organization.  It also provided some insight on FCCLA National Programs such as Families First, Career Connections, Student Body, FACTS, Leadership Services, and Stop the Violence.

“I got more information on the many different programs that FCCLA offers to its members.  It also gave me ideas for our committees this year,” senior Isabel Small said.

However, members weren’t the only ones who benefited from the sessions.  Sponsors were also given information from the state and national levels.

“I feel this is one of the most educational workshops provided for local officers and new members,” FCCLA Sponsor Tonya Zegers said.  “If members are willing to listen and retain information (which my kids always do), they will have a wealth of ideas and information for their chapters.”

The overall purpose of this workshop is to develop leadership within members and officers of the Nebraska FCCLA Association.

“After going to the FCCLA Fall Leadership Workshop, I think what I got out of it most was learning more about what FCCLA stands for,” seventh grader Sidnee Busch said.

• FCCLA members find inspiration at the Fall Leadership Workshop

12.15.2017

Opinion

Column: True meaning of holiday hidden under the Christmas tree

12.14.2017

Diversity in school: A little taste of the world

12.13.2017

Scout wrestling earns victory at home dual

12.12.2017

12.11.2017

Opinion

Letter to the editor: To those offended by the “pin chain”

Hometown heroes do more than the eye can see