2017 Homecoming Candidates

The+2017+David+City+High+School+Homecoming+candidates+front+row%2C+left+to+right%3A+Brooke+Bell%2C++Lauren+Hoeft%2C+Olivia+Couch%2C+Renee+Backstrom%2C+and+Bethany+Tebbe.+Back+row%3A+Colin+Vandenberg%2C+Cole+Martinez%2C+Jackson+Hardin%2C+Riley+Kirby%2C+and+William+Heller.+

Courtesy Photo

The 2017 David City High School Homecoming candidates front row, left to right: Brooke Bell, Lauren Hoeft, Olivia Couch, Renee Backstrom, and Bethany Tebbe. Back row: Colin Vandenberg, Cole Martinez, Jackson Hardin, Riley Kirby, and William Heller.

Renee Backstrom

Renee Backstrom: Renee Backstrom is the daughter of Mike and Amy Backstrom of David City. Renee plans to attend either Bryan College of Health Sciences or Wayne State College for nursing. During college she hopes to get a more clear picture of what kind of nurse she wants to be, but is leaning toward working in an ICU. Renee is currently involved in volleyball, basketball, cheer, dance, Stay- U, FCA, One-Act, and SCOOP. She is also the NHS Vice President and the Student Council President. She has previously been involved in FFA and FCCLA in middle school, and has also participated in track and Quiz Bowl. Renee has been apart of Desiree’s Dancers for approximately 14 years and is also a CNA at David Place in David City. As a member of Redeemer Lutheran Church, she helps out with VBS and the soup supper. Renee also volunteers at the Breakers Tournament, volunteers at local blood drives, and rings bells for the Salvation Army. This year, Renee was chosen to attend Girls’ State and was also chosen to attend a Bryan Medical Health Career Camp. Along with numerous academic awards, Renee has been awarded a Good Citizenship award and a Community Service award. She also been on Academic Honor Roll all four years of high school and has received numerous Varsity letters and accomplishments in the activities she has participated in.

Brooke Bell: Brooke Bell is the daughter of Joy Woita of David City and Rodney Bell of Bellwood. Brooke plans to attend the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and study animal science. She is the David City FFA Chapter President and is also involved in band, NHS, Speech, and One-Act and has previously competed in golf. Brooke is also an active member of JOBS Daughters, has been on Honor Roll, and has won the Good Citizen award twice.

Olivia Couch: Olivia Couch is the daughter of Cortney and Heather Couch of David City. After graduation, Olivia plans on attending the University of Nebraska-Kearney where she will major in biology and pursue a career in the medical field. She is involved in volleyball, basketball, Stay-U, track, FCA, One-Act, is the Vice President of Student Council, the NHS President, a SCOOP co-editor, and is the senior class president. Olivia volunteers at the blood drive, is a salvation army collector, is a counselor at VBS, and also helps out with Little Scout volleyball and basketball camps. Olivia was the Voice of Democracy Contest runner-up and has been awarded 19 Outstanding Student awards.

Lauren Hoeft: Lauren Hoeft is the daughter of Scott and Sandy Hoeft of David City. Lauren plans to attend either Bryan College of Health Sciences or the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. She plans to major in nursing with the hopes of becoming an oncology nurse or a neonatal nurse. Lauren is involved in volleyball, basketball, NHS, Wellness Council, Student Council, dance, and is a cadet on the David City Volunteer Fire Department. She has also previously been involved in track, FCA, Quiz Bowl, and Yearbook. Lauren is a participant of the “Staching Through the Snow” charity run and is a table server at her church festival. She has also received academic High Honor Roll, the volleyball 3-D Award, and was a finalist for the Voice of Democracy contest.

Bethany Tebbe: Bethany Tebbe is the daughter of Greg and Charlotte Tebbe of David City. Bethany plans to attend Doane University with a major in music education and a minor in theater. Bethany is involved in volleyball, FFA, band, choir, Speech, and One-Act. She has previously been involved in FCA, FCCLA, basketball, quiz bowl, Stay-U, and was a wrestling manager. Bethany assists with VBS at the Lutheran Church, attends community choir, assists with the youth theater workshop, and helps with technology and game leading for Children’s Church at Word of Life Church in Columbus. She has been awarded three superior ratings for vocal solo, one superior rating for French horn, three superior ratings for instrumental group, one superior rating for vocal trio and duet, and one excellent rating for both vocal duet and solo. Bethany was also the school-wide 2016 American Legion Essay Contest winner. In addition, she has been awarded Outstanding Actress three years, Honor Roll two years, and has gone to UNK honor choir, Concordia honor choir, Doane honor band, Wayne State honor band and choir, and went to the Masonic All-Star Marching Band Camp in 2015. She has also received letters in band, choir, speech, and volleyball. Bethany has participated in the State FFA talent show for two years and participated in the State FFA honor choir for one. Bethany was on Nebraska’s Best of the Best Television showcase for OID in 2017. She was the 2017 Conference and District Speech Champion in informative and also the 2017 State Speech Champion in informative and OID.

Jackson Hardin: Jackson Hardin is the son of Rex and Jane Rehmer of David City. Jackson plans to attend the University of Nebraska at Omaha to major in biology. He is the NHS Secretary and is also involved in Speech and One-Act. Jackson has previously been involved in football, basketball, and track. Outside of school, he is also involved with Saint Luke’s United Methodist Church’s choir, sound and multimedia, puppet ministry, worship leading, Vacation Bible School, and a volunteer at soup suppers. Jackson is a five-time State Speech medalist and three-time State Champion. He is also a National Speech medalist in poetry and has received several Outstanding Actor awards in One-Act. He was the 2015-16 David City High School Best Actor and has received Academic All-State and Good Citizenship awards. Jackson was also chosen to attend Boys’ State this year.

William Heller: William Heller is the son of Russ and Monica Heller of David CIty. Will plans to attend the University of Nebraska-Omaha to earn a Bachelor’s degree in computer science with the plan to enter the field of software programming. He is involved in band, choir, Stay-U, Speech, One-Act, golf, is the publicist of the Zero-K Science Club, and is the historian for NHS. Will has assisted in running the NHS dodgeball tournament and is an active member and usher for Redeemer Lutheran Church. He has helped with the Butler County Youth Theater for two years and has also been a member of the Butler County Community Choir for two years. Will has been awarded April 2016 Student of the Month, Honor Roll 2015-16 and 2016-17, and was also on Honorable Mention 2014-15.

Riley Kirby: Riley Kirby is the son of Mark and Tina Kirby of David City. After graduation, Riley is looking at Wayne State College or Northeast Community College with an undecided major. He is involved in football, basketball, and track and has previously been involved in Stay-U. Outside of school, Riley is currently an usher at Redeemer Lutheran Church, a lifeguard at the David City Family Aquatic Center, and helps run the clock at Breakers’ tournaments. Riley has also been on academic Honorable Mention the past two years.

Cole Martinez: Cole Martinez is the son of Carol Martinez of Ulysses and George Martinez of David City. He plans to attend Chadron State College and major in family and consumer science education. Cole is involved in band, NHS, and is the FCCLA Chapter President. He has been on the Honor Roll twice and has also been Student of the Month. Cole was awarded Outstanding Student in web design, band, and earth science. He was also awarded Extra Effort Student in child development, biology, housing, and band. Cole has lettered in band and was a finalist for the Voice of Democracy contest. In FCCLA, Cole has been a National Champion in Interior Design once, a District Champion in Recycle and Redesign three times, and has received third place at Districts in Illustrated Talk once and third place at State for Recycle and Redesign three times.

Colin Vandenberg: Colin Vandenberg is the son of John and Linda Vandenberg of David City. Colin plans to attend Northeast Community College and receive an associate’s degree in Ag Business. He will then transfer to the University of Nebraska- Lincoln and earn a bachelor’s degree in Ag Business. Colin is a captain of the football team and is also involved in basketball, track, and is on Student Council. Outside of school, Colin sets up flags at the courthouse for Memorial Day and has played for the American Legion baseball team here in David City since he was a freshman. In addition, Colin has been on Honorable Mention for three years and was awarded Extra Effort Student in Advanced Metals.