David City FFA members travel to National Convention

Courtesy Photo
David City FFA Chapter traveled to Louisville, Ky. for the National FFA Convention Oct. 29-Nov. 1. Members pictured include (Back row left to right) FFA Vice President senior Dustin D., junior Zach S., sophomore Matthew D., David City High School alumna Chelsea Sidel, (Front row left to right) Aquinas senior Vanessa W., FFA Secretary senior Kelsey S., freshman Debbie W., and Aquinas sophomore Victoria W.

Allegra H.

This year five David City High School students had the opportunity to represent the chapter at the annual National FFA Convention in Louisville, Ky. Oct. 29-Nov. 1.

Seniors Dustin D. and Kelsey S., junior Zach S., sophomore Matthew D., and freshman Debbie W. joined the more than 60,000 FFA members from across the nation to participate in this event. Aquinas senior Vanessa W., Aquinas sophomore Victoria W. and DCHS alumni Amanda Clymer and Chelsea Sidel also attended.

One of the key reasons the David City Chapter traveled the 24-hour round trip by charter bus to Louisville this year was to support the DCHS alumni.

“This year Amanda Clymer and Chelsea Sidel are getting [the] American FFA Degree – the highest honor an FFA member achieve,” FFA adviser Jenny Kocian said.

In addition to receiving her American FFA Degree, Sidel also had a fruit production proficiency that qualified for Nationals, Kocian said.

During the four days the members were at the National Convention, they had the opportunity to participate in a variety of events such as listening to the keynote speaker Nick Vujicic, a renowned motivational speaker born without arms and legs, learning more about zoology in a workshop sponsored by Seaworld, and seeing country singer Luke Bryan in concert.

Students also toured different history and science museums and visited the FFA mall where all kinds of FFA gear and apparel are sold.

Although there were various events for members to take part in, exploring the agriculture expo was one of the most memorable events because it presented students possibilities in agriculture for the future.

“There is a large variety of businesses and colleges that were there that had ag programs, which means there [are] a lot of opportunities for your future and for future jobs in ag,” FFA Vice President senior Dustin D. said.

National Convention not only presented future opportunities in agriculture for the members, but also motivated them to participate in FFA contests and be leaders within their own chapters.

“The most important thing I learned was about leadership and how different people show leadership in different ways,” FFA Secretary senior Kelsey S. said. “My favorite part was meeting different people from different states and learning their backgrounds and comparing what they do in their states compared to what we do in Nebraska.”

While the trips to national events like this only happen every two or three years and can be costly, Kocian said she believes it is beneficial for students to attend.

“National Convention is an experience a student will remember for life. It’s these kinds of experiences that light a fire under a student or create those ‘ah, ha’ moments.”