Solar eclipse leaves DCHS students in awe

A group of students watch the eclipse at Walmart in Seward. Numerous students went to various locations to watch the eclipse in complete totality.

Renee Backstrom

On Mon., Aug. 21 people in towns and cities across the United States, and even people who traveled from other countries, took time out of their day to do something out of the ordinary, watch the sun. It wasn’t just any sun though; it was a total eclipse, meaning the moon was completely covering the sun.

Throughout the United States there was an uproar of people needing to find glasses and businesses being sold out in a day. Good thing High School Science Teacher Amy Sander planned ahead.  

“We started conversation on this back in March trying to decide what activities we could possibly do with the eclipse,” Sander said. “We actually had ordered 500 glasses before school was out so we could make sure we had enough before they were in short supply.”

The eclipse caused some schools to change their schedules or even cancel classes for the day. Various students within David City High School wanted to see the sun totally covered and went to watch it somewhere else. Though David City was not in complete totality, staff and students still watched quite the show through their protective glasses.

“I loved seeing how quickly it changed before my very own eyes,” sophomore Maddy Hoeft said. “It is so cool that we got to see it right in our town, and it’s truly an experience I will never forget.”

Utica, NE, was in complete totality, and that is where sophomore Spencer Allen and his family traveled to watch. He even used a telescope to look through to get a closer look.

“I had a very good experience while watching the solar eclipse,” Allen said. “I was in an area that received 2 minutes and 16 seconds of totality. I was able to observe the eclipse through a telescope equipped with a solar filter, so I got a closer view of the sun and moon.”

Another place in complete totality was nearby Seward, NE. Looking up each time more and more was covered, and the excitement built throughout the Walmart parking lot. When just a sliver was left, there was a sudden drop in temperature and it became darker. As the crowd took off the glasses, it looked like there was a sunset all around. 

“Not only is it a once in a lifetime experience for kids, we wanted to provide an opportunity for students to view it with more structure,” Sander said. “Even though it was just a short event, we can use it in our classrooms and throughout our curriculum for the rest of the year and maybe even years to come.”