April 2017 Students of the Month

Scoop Staff

Seventh grade: Lili Eickmeier is the daughter of Shelli and Kenny Eickmeier of Bellwood. She has three older siblings, Abby, Morgan, and Harley, and a younger sister, Grace. Lili is involved in volleyball, basketball, track, and soccer. She said that she spends most of her time at one of those practices or at home.

When Lili first found out she was Student of the Month, she was surprised. She believes that she was chosen as Student of the Month because she receives good grades, is helpful, and is friendly. Lili also believes those are qualities that make her a good person, and she is a leader by being helpful and always greeting others with a smile.

• What is your favorite part about spring? The weather
  • What are you looking forward to most this summer? Spending time with friends and no homework

Eighth grade: Ethan Zegers is the son of Brian and Tonya Zegers of David City, and he has a sister named Chloe. Ethan is involved in baseball, golf, wrestling, basketball, and football. He spends most of his free time on the golf course or hanging out in his room.

Upon finding out he was Student of the Month, Ethan was surprised. He believes he earned the eighth grade spot because he sees himself as a people person and is able to treat others highly. He views himself as a good role model.

• What is your favorite part about spring? Baseball and golf
  • What are you looking forward to most this summer? Baseball and hanging out with friends

Freshman: Bryanna McAuley is the daughter of Lisa Boss and Floyd McAuley. She lives in Bellwood and has two siblings,Trinity and Xavier. She is involved in Student Council and FCCLA. She always helps teach Sunday School and helps with the food pantry at her church. Bryanna spends most of her free time hanging with her friends, helping others out and spending time with her Grandma Marian.

Bryanna believes that she is respectful, kind, responsible, and a hard worker. She also feels that those qualities are why she was considered and chosen for Student of the Month. Bryanna also helps others when they need help and tries to get along with her peers, which she believe makes her a good leader.

• What is your favorite part about spring? Being able to be outside more and walking around Bellwood.
  • What are you looking forward to most this summer? I’m looking forward going to a Nickelback concert with my mom, going swimming, and hanging with my friends. 

Sophomore: Sidney Soukup is the daughter of Joe and Shelly Soukup of Ulysses. Sidney has two sisters, Madison and Reese. Sidney is involved in FCCLA, band, and quiz bowl. When she has free time, Sidney like to hang out with her friends. Sidney feels she is a leader by helping others whenever they need it.

When Sidney first found out she was Student of the Month she was very surprised. She thinks she was considered for Student of the Month because she is a leader inside and outside of the classroom.

• What is your favorite part about spring? The warmer weather
  • What are you looking forward to most this summer? Being able to travel

Junior: Renee Backstrom is the daughter of Mike and Amy Backstrom of David City. She has one older brother, Wade, who is a junior at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Renee is actively involved in volleyball, basketball, SCOOP, One-Act, Stay-U, FCA, NHS, Platinum Dance, cheer, quiz bowl, student council, band, and Desiree’s dancers. In her free time, she likes to nap, procrastinate, hang out with friends, or work at David’s Place.

Renee feels that her strongest quality is knowing which times she needs to act a certain way to be most beneficial. Her active participation and level headedness are what she feels helped her be chosen as Student of the Month.

• What is your favorite part about spring? The flowers and the colors
  • What are you looking forward to most this summer? Bonfires and having fun with friends

Senior: Matthew Dietrick is the son of Myron and Sara Dietrick of David City. He has one younger brother, Ethan.  Matthew does not partake in any high school activities at the time, but is an active member of the Boy Scouts of America and Eagle Scouts. When Matthew is not at school or other activities he likes to spend his time at home, usually sleeping.

At first, Matthew said he thought every student got a turn to be Student of the Month, and it was just his turn. However, he later learned that is only selected students. Matthew thinks he was selected because he is a good student and helps people if it’s needed.

“I just live my life the way I want to live it, take responsibility for my own actions, and I treat others the way I think they deserve to be treated,” Matthew said. “I think these things are necessary to just being a person.”

• What is your favorite part about spring? Watching all the trees and stuff turn green again. Sounds stupid, but Nebraskan winters almost never have much snow, so everything is brown and dead.
  • What are you looking forward to most this summer? Waking up in the morning, do morning stuff, then not go to school. Then wake up the next day, do morning stuff, and still not go to school. Then the next day. And the next. And the next.

• April 2017 Students of the Month

Rachel’s Challenge inspires positivity among students

• April 2017 Students of the Month

08.18.2017

• April 2017 Students of the Month

08.17.2017

• April 2017 Students of the Month

08.15.2017

• April 2017 Students of the Month

08.14.2017

• April 2017 Students of the Month

08.11.2017

• April 2017 Students of the Month

08.10.2017

• April 2017 Students of the Month

2017 Alumni Dinner

• April 2017 Students of the Month

State Track 2017

• April 2017 Students of the Month

DCPS teachers say their goodbyes after 30 years of service

April 2017 Students of the Month