DCEB ends season with pink out game, Districts

Photo by Kaylee P.

Freshman Debbie W. pitches a ball at the pink out triangular on Oct. 6. After the pink out, The David City East Butler softball team ended their season at Districts.

Kaylee P., Staff Writer

Decked out in pink jerseys, the David City East Butler softball team held a pink out at the triangular on Oct. 6. Later that week, the team played in the district tournament, ending their season with an 11-14 record.

In the first game of the triangular against Malcom, the Scouts fought back through a deficit to tie the game at different points before falling to the Clippers 11-15. Despite the loss, DCEB player Karli S. contributed three home runs and Jade P. added one.

“The team always gave great effort.  We pride ourselves in sportsmanship on and off the field,” Assistant Coach Connie Lentz said. “Our team had really good chemistry. Our players enjoyed being together and we as coaches enjoyed coaching them.”

During the second game of the night versus Centennial, DCEB player Karli S. contributed another homerun and DCEB player Lauren S. added a double, propelling the Scouts to a 13-9 victory over the Broncos.

Next, the team went to Districts on Oct. 9. DCEB first played O’Neill and started with a 2-0 lead. The O’Neill players caught up when they scored two runs and had three runners on bases waiting. With a final score of 12-4, DCEB lost but waited to play against Wisner-Pilger next.

Once again DCEB started out with the first score, leading 1-0 against Wisner-Pilger. In response, Wisner-Pilger tied the score when they managed to get a run in. Toward the end of the game, Wisner-Pilger managed to score four additional runs defeating the Scouts 6-1.

“The first team we played clearly improved from when we first played them because we run-ruled them last time, and this time, they run-ruled us,” DCEB player Debbie W. said. “The second game was a little tougher, and we knew we would’ve had to put up a battle.”

As the softball season comes to an end, the team will be graduating three seniors.