Beginning FFA members attend leadership lab

Photo by Kasey S.

Freshman Jake S. takes leadership in stacking shoes to build the tallest shoe tower. The activity was used to show how teamwork can go a long way.

Kasey S.

DCHS freshmen and beginning sophomore FFA members traveled to Central Community College in Columbus where they took part in an all-day leadership conference. While there, members learned the basic opportunities that FFA provides.

Educational groups were set up by FFA advisers from multiple schools along with the state FFA officers. In the groups, the new FFA members were informed about the official dress, camps, and conventions of FFA before they engaged in agriculture education.

“The district leadership lab is a fantastic opportunity to expose new high school FFA members to opportunities in FFA. In addition, they also meet state officers and other FFA members from our district,” FFA adviser Jenny Kocian said. “It’s pretty common for them to know some of the other kids, so it brings about a festive gathering.”

Career-oriented, hands-on workshops took place in the afternoon where members participated in fun learning experiences. Workshops included: floral design corsage and pricing, livestock evaluation placing, agriscience CDE career report, nursery ID, landscape ID, insect ID, disease ID, and other computational opportunities they could compete in at the State Convention.

“The workshops showed us what we could do for State FFA and how leadership will not just help us with FFA but with life in general,” freshman Renee B. said.

The FFA members finished their day off with a celebratory stop at Dairy Queen. Members then enjoyed the ride home with a frozen treat.