Band and choir students gain experience with advanced musicians

Honor choir students front row left to right: Jada Ranslem and Preston Beringer. Back row: Will Heller, Bethany Tebbe, Renay Sanley, Ebani Filbert, Luis Lopez, Riley Hlavac.

Macy Svoboda, Co-Editor

Several David City High School music students have attended multiple honor band and choir events throughout the year. The students who were accepted into these band and choir events were given the opportunity to learn many new tips and tricks on becoming a better musician.

Attending different honor choirs helps the DCHS choir become stronger as a whole group. While attending honor choir events, the students receive feedback on their posture and punctuation as well as breathing techniques. This advice is then beneficial when those students bring it back to their school to share with the rest of the choir members, helping better the choir in general.

The music program has previously attended honor band and choirs at University of Nebraska-Kearney, Concordia, Doane, and more.

At the Wayne State Honor Choir, the participants from DCHS practiced four songs before the concert. Some of the students who attended thought these pieces mixed together nicely as they were very dramatic and emotional.

Some students who attended the Wayne State Honor Choir were senior Kylie Hascall, juniors Will Heller, Jada Ranslem, Luis Lopez, and Brooke Bell, and sophomores Ebani Filbert and Riley Hlavac.

Other honor band and choir events included Kansas State, where Hascall and Bell visited. Hascall and Bell also attended the Doane Honor Band along with Hlavac. UNK Honor Choir consisted of Hascall, Hlavac, and junior Bethany Tebbe. Hascall was also accepted to Concordia this year for band.

“We had limited time to prepare beforehand, but these seven students are all strong singers and musicians and were able to easily sight read sections that they didn’t have much time to work on,” Band and Choir Director Joe Albright said. “Not ideal, but I am proud of their effort.”

Albright believes everyone has noticed the improvement the music program has made over the past few years. Two factors he believes have improved the most are the quantity and quality of the program. If there is anything that Albright feels could improve more would be consistency. Making sure each student does his or her part by taking responsibility, as well as continually maintaining and improving skills, will help with the program’s consistency from one rehearsal to the next, Albright noted.

Attending different events mostly focuses on the individual’s performance. Each student selected to take part in honor band/choir events has the opportunity to rehearse and spend time with some very experienced musicians.

“These events are great ways for choir and band members to gain valuable experience and to learn more proper ways to play or sing,” Heller said. “Plus, it’s a lot of fun to get on stage with a bunch of strangers and friends and play some great music for an audience.”

The music department will have a concert on Tues., March 7. The East Butler Middle School Music Contest will be held on Sat., March 25, and the District music contest for high schoolers will be held Apr. 21-22. The DCHS Band and Choir is also hoping to organize some fun activities to acknowledge the National Music in Our Schools Month in March.