Loss against Lakeview in Subdistricts puts Scouts one short of season goal

Junior Colin Vandenberg is in defensive stance to guard the ball. Ending the last game of the season with four fouls, Vandenberg will return next year as a senior.

Renee Backstrom

The David City High School boys basketball team traveled to Columbus for the first round of Subdistricts on Feb. 20. The Scouts played Columbus Lakeview, and after all of their battling, ended up losing 28 to 47.

The game started off with the Scouts not getting the tip and having to fall back in their 2-3 defense. It was a slow start with the game scoreless until 5:41 when junior Colin Vandenberg got fouled and made the first two points of the game through free-throws.

“It started out okay but not as great as I would have hope for,” Head Coach Cole Carraher said. “I give Columbus Lakeview a lot of credit. They have a lot of boys and could send five in and five out. I wish that someday we will get the numbers to be able to do that and pull out some more wins.”

The game soon picked up, and the Scouts were close behind Lakeview at the end of the first quarter with a score of 9-10.

“We have improved from last year not only in the way that we play the game, but also in competitiveness until the end,” Carraher said. “Overall, it has been really pleasing to work with the group of guys that came out this year and will definitely miss the leadership from this group of seniors.”

Going into the second quarter, the Scouts came out in man to put more pressure on Lakeview. With more turnovers and few baskets going in, the Scouts went into halftime trailing 12-20.

“At halftime I just think our shots just weren’t falling. Defensively I thought we played pretty well,” sophomore Will Danielson said. “We just needed to take care of the ball, capitalize on our opportunities, and hopefully we would come out with a win.”

After halftime the Scouts came out with more momentum. A three pointer by senior Ross Kirby put the Scouts within three points with two minutes left in the third quarter. The Scouts gave up many rebounds allowing Lakeview to have multiple chances under the basket. They ended the third quarter down 23-30, and in the fourth quarter baskets would not fall for the Scouts ending their season with a 28-47 loss.

“I think we shocked a lot of people this year for how good we played at times,” Kirby said. “However, personally I think we could of been better if we all produced at the same time. I was proud how my team and I never gave up and helped turn the program back in the right direction.”

At the beginning of the boys basketball season, the team made a goal to win seven games this season. With losing to Lakeview, the Scouts came one short of their goal with a record of six and fifteen.

“We actually set our goal at the beginning of the year to win seven games, and although we came short of that, we definitely put ourselves in a position to achieve that goal,” Carraher said.

• Loss against Lakeview in Subdistricts puts Scouts one short of season goal

Rachel’s Challenge inspires positivity among students

08.18.2017

08.17.2017

08.15.2017

08.14.2017

08.11.2017

08.10.2017

2017 Alumni Dinner

State Track 2017

DCPS teachers say their goodbyes after 30 years of service