David City students compete at Spelling Bee

Matthew+Vrbka%2C+Suzie+Piitz%2C+and+Caden+Denker+show+off+their+medals.+Vrbka+will+be+going+to+Midwest+Spelling+Bee.+

Courtesy Photo

Matthew Vrbka, Suzie Piitz, and Caden Denker show off their medals. Vrbka will be going to Midwest Spelling Bee.

Bryanna Farmer

On Sun., Jan. 29 the Alpha Delta Kappa organization sponsored the annual Butler County Spelling Bee at David City Public High School.

There were a total of 27 participants ranging from fifth through eighth grade from East Butler, St. Mary’s and Aquinas Middle School, David City Elementary and Middle School, and Bellwood Elementary.

Prior to the County Spelling Bee, the 27 competitors had to take a written test in which each competitor was selected by their teachers. Each teacher was allowed to select two students for every 15 students.

Before the oral round, each contestant had to take a 30 word written test. The top ten spellers from the written exam then went on to the oral round.

The top three spellers from the oral round were David City Elementary sixth grader Caden Denker with third place, East Butler eighth grader Suzie Piitz placing second, and Aquinas seventh grader Matthew Vrbka placing first and qualifying for the Midwest Spelling Bee in Omaha on March 11sponsored by the Omaha World Herald. The winner from the Midwest Spelling Bee will receive an all-expense paid trip for two to compete at the National Spelling Bee in Washington, DC.