Scouts play until end against Chieftains

Senior Joe Lance sets up the Scouts offense. The Scouts scored the most points during the last quarter with 14 points.

Macy Svoboda, Co-Editor

David City Scouts boys basketball was defeated by the Yutan Chieftains on Tues., Jan. 24, ending with a final score of 30-66.

Falling short on the tip-off, the Chieftains started with the ball. The Scouts won a couple tips and crashed the boards on defense to help get their offense started; however, their shots didn’t fall.

With neither team knocking down any shots in the starting minutes of the first quarter, the Chieftains finally pulled out a two on an offensive rebound and took a foul, making the free throw. The Scouts gave the Chieftains a lead due to shots not falling and a tight press. With 48 seconds left, senior Matthew Lewis made the first shot for the Scouts down low, ending the first quarter down 2-16.

“I think the biggest thing we need to come away with in terms of improvement is the mental aspect of the game. Yutan is a very good team, and we knew who and what their strengths were,” Head Coach Cole Carraher said. “We did a good job defensively in the opening minutes of the game, however, because we couldn’t hit a shot, we kind of let that negatively impact us on the defensive end.”

As the Chieftains fouled senior Joe Lance early in the second quarter, Lance added another point on the scoreboard for the Scouts. A couple steals from both teams also added points for the Scouts. However, the Chieftains were able to move the ball down low and gained a bigger lead, ending the first half with a score of 8-36.

After halftime, both the Scouts and the Chieftains began the second half fast-paced. The Chieftains made a couple shots to start the quarter, but the Scouts soon came back making shots right after them. The ball kept getting pushed back and forth giving both teams points. Toward the end of the third quarter, the Chieftains played tougher defense and used a full-court press. The quarter ended with the Scouts down 16-59.

The Chieftains started off the final quarter with a foul, allowing Lance to shoot two at the free throw line. The Chieftains quickly returned with a two under the basket. The Scouts then got many open looks and offensive rebounds to help put more points on the board. With less than a minute left, junior Riley Kirby pulled a three for the last shot of the night.

“The highlight of the night would have to be making the fourth quarter our highest scoring quarter. To me, that shows that we kept playing hard despite the score, and we used that time to our advantage to improve against a quality opponent,” Carraher said. “Playing hard to finish out the game no matter what is something that we always try to focus on. I think we’ve learned from this tough loss, and it will only make us better as we head into the conference tournament.”

The Scouts finished the game with a 30-66 loss. The Scouts will play on Mon., Jan. 30 at home against Thayer Central in the SNC Conference Tournament.

• Scouts play until end against Chieftains

Rachel’s Challenge inspires positivity among students

08.18.2017

08.17.2017

08.15.2017

08.14.2017

08.11.2017

08.10.2017

2017 Alumni Dinner

State Track 2017

DCPS teachers say their goodbyes after 30 years of service