David City wrestling exceeds expectations at Butler County Triangular

Payton McMillin

The David City Scouts came out on top Thurs., Jan. 12 at annual Butler County Triangular.

For the sixth consecutive year, the Scouts brought home first place over the East Butler Tigers and Aquinas Monarchs. East Butler and Aquinas opened up the night with the Monarchs claiming a 48-18 victory.  East Butler had a substantial disadvantage with the team having more than half of their weight classes open resulting in forfeiting the same amount of matches.

The Tigers then fell to the Scouts with a score of 60-15. Wins by forfeit included sophomore Justin White (126), senior Lee Betzen (132), freshman Spencer Allen (160), senior Rebel Moore (170), junior Matt Eilers (220), and senior Daniel White (285). Wins by fall included junior Seth Styskal (113) and sophomore Noah Styskal (120). Wins by pin included junior Melvin Hernandez (138) and senior Ryan Worm (195).

Before the final dual of the night, the annual push-up contest commenced. The contest consisted of participants attempting to accomplish more push-ups than his/her opponent within two minutes.  Police officers, coaches, and children participated in the competition.

Finally, the Monarchs and the Scouts went head to head in a much-anticipated dual. The Scouts claimed yet another victory with a score of 43-31. Wins by forfeit included freshman Dalton Krause (106), Noah Styskal (120), and Justin White (126). Wins by fall included Seth Styskal (113), Betzen (132), Hernandez (138), Worm (195), and Eilers (220).  

The Scout wrestlers will be back in action on Fri.,  Jan. 13 at 11 a.m. at the David City Invitational.