Making a difference one step at a time

Fifth and sixth graders take 10 to 15 minutes during their noon recess to help pack backpacks. The backpacks are packed on Monday so they can be sent home for the weekend on Friday.

Macy Svoboda, Co-Editor

Starting in the 2011-12 school year, David City Public Schools joined the Food Bank of Lincoln’s Backpack Program. This program allows meals to go home with students over the weekend for their families if they need it.

Every week backpacks are filled with food to be sent home on the last day of the school week. The Backpack Program Committee does multiple fundraising activities to help the program continue going strong. Along with fundraising, individual donors give to the program.

David City Elementary Guidance Counselor Tricia Romshek contributes a lot to this program. Romshek makes sure every backpack is filled every week for each family, helps fundraise, and makes sure food gets to the school to fill the backpacks.

“Our committee likes that we can make a difference in a child’s life by providing some food security over the weekend,” Romshek said.

Food trucks bring in a truck-load of food around every six weeks. David City High School Student Council members also help out the program by unloading the food trucks whenever they are brought in. Once the trucks are unloaded, the food is stored for each backpack until the next truck comes. DCES fifth and sixth graders also help and volunteer to fill the backpacks for the next run.   

An activity the Backpack Program also organizes occurred over the week of Thanksgiving. The program brought bags to every access class at the high school for students and teachers to fill with different foods and supplies. This gave the families in need the opportunity to have a complete Thanksgiving dinner. Some items that were collected included: instant potatoes, gravy mix, stuffing, corn, canned pumpkin, and more.

The upcoming Christmas/New Year’s break will also bring a need for food for these families. The program will continue giving backpacks on the last day of the school week until the break starts.