Scouts lose home-opener in thrilling nail-biter

Photo by Becca M.
Junior Morgen V. takes down a Milford-Dorchester player to hinder the Eagles’ drive. Morgen V. was the second leading tackler during Friday’s game with six tackles on the night.

Becca M.

Despite a missed field goal attempt during the Scouts’ last drive, DCHS held the MIlford-Dorchester Eagles to only 109 total yards of offense in a disappointing 6-8 loss on Friday, Sept. 5.

Strong defenses and slick field conditions made it difficult for both teams to put points on the board. Head football coach Amp Ferg said the sloppy field narrowed what both of the teams could do in terms of a game plan.

Near the end of the first quarter, the Scouts received the ball back after a punt that landed on their own 8-yard line. After a short gain, the Scouts lost 5 yards due to a false start. The pursuing play resulted in a safety against the Scouts when Ben D. rolled out for a pass and was unable to find an open receiver. Milford-Dorchester went into the second quarter leading 2-0.

The grind continued in the second quarter when the Eagles began to gain yards due to a few missed tackles. During the Eagles’ first drive of the second quarter, Milford completed their only pass for the night and gained 12 more yards. A few plays later, the Eagles scored a touchdown from 10 yards out, making the score 8-0. They missed the 2-point conversion.

“I knew they were going to give us a battle and our team was prepared to fight until the very end,” senior Adam R. said.

Near the end of the half, the Scouts were determined to pick up yards. Ben D. completed a 34-yard pass to Logan D. for a Scout first down. This left the Scouts at the Eagles’ 7-yard line. The next play, however, the Scouts fumbled and Milford-Dorchester recovered the ball. The Scouts went into halftime down 8-0.

The Scouts finally put a score on the board in the third quarter. Quarterback Ben D. handed off to Tony M., and Tony M. ran a sweep to the right for a 55-yard touchdown run.

The Scouts tried a 2-point conversion, but received a 5-yard false start penalty. The Scouts tried a second time, but the 2-point conversion was no good. That left the Eagles ahead 8-6.

Later in the second half, the Scouts were presented with another opportunity to score. Senior Cody S. intercepted a long pass from Milford’s quarterback, setting up the Scouts for their next drive. Unfortunately, the Scouts were unable to capitalize on the Eagles’ error, and the Scouts went in to the fourth quarter still trailing 6-8.

As the game entered the final quarter, the Eagles strived to sustain their lead while the Scouts fought to get another score. The ball went back and forth to each team, but the messy field conditions caused many turnovers and punts.

With less than a minute remaining in the game, the Scouts attempted a field goal to take the lead. The field goal was unsuccessful and the ball was returned to Milford-Dorchester’s possession as the final seconds on the clock ran out. The Scouts came up short with a disappointing loss of 6-8.

“We did really well bouncing back from mistakes, but we need to be focused more before and during the game,” Logan D. said.

Despite the loss, there were many positive performances contributed by the Scouts. Ben D. led the offense again this week with three of four completed passes for a total of 61 yards, the fourth resulting in a pass interference penalty for the Scouts. Logan D., Ryan W., and sophomore Ross K. each led in receptions for the night, each having one, and Tony M. led the team with 154 yards rushing. Defensively, Adam R. led the team with 10 tackles, and junior Morgen V. contributed six.

“We ran the ball successfully against a really good team.  Our defense only gave up six points, so if we keep playing defense like we did Friday night, we will put ourselves in position to win some games down the road,” Ferg said.