College visit expands students’ knowledge about their futures

Madisen Paulson

The sophomore class at David City High School took a visit to Northeast Community College and Wayne State College on Nov. 22.

Every year, each class in the high school takes a college visit to a school selected by Guidance Counselor Brenda Siffring.

“I try to choose colleges that the students will like and ones they haven’t been to in past years,” Siffring said. “I want the college visits to be enjoyable for the students, giving them a good option they may want to choose from.”

Wayne State College was founded more than one hundred years ago, being ranked as the 21st public university in the Midwest and the 72nd of the regional universities. WSC is a college known for their friendly atmosphere, affordable prices, and the success of their graduates.

Going on college visits helps students choose a college that suites them or may give them a wider variety of options to choose from.

“College visits helps us [the students] pick a college that best suites us,” sophomore Riley Hlavac said. “We can make decisions before the end of our high school education.”

Northeast Community College is located in Norfolk, NE.  Northeast was founded in 1973 as a comprehensive community college, meaning they offer general education and technical programs located on the same campus.

While on the Northeast and WSC campuses, students were separated into small groups of five or six and given a tour guide. The tour guide took the group around the college and explained what life on campus and in college was like.

“The message being sent to students at different college visits also opens up the opportunity for financial aid and ways they can receive this,” Physical Education Teacher Emily Maresh said. “I think also by talking to current college students, it puts life into perspective as well because they are living that life.”

DCHS has made it easier for the students to get out and see what college is really like. Teachers and staff make it possible for the students to be able to participate in these college visits starting as young as seventh grade.