DCHS pays tribute to our veterans

DCHS students give all their attention to each veteran as the band plays the Armed Forces Salute. Everyone who attended the program clapped to show their appreciation for the veterans as they stood to be honored.

Edited By: Adam Ebbeka

Macy Svoboda, Co-Editor

David City Middle School students along with social studies teacher Lisa Bales helped the school and community show their appreciation for veterans on Thurs., Nov. 10.

The middle school students put over a full school week into this program, making multiple posters, videos to display, and organizing the program.

The David City Middle and High School Veteran’s Day Program began with senior Matthew Lewis, Student Council Co-President, welcoming everyone. The American Legion Post 125 and VFW Post 5814 then gave the presentation of the colors.

Eighth grade student David Maxwell introduced the National Anthem being played by the DCHS Band under direction of band and choir director Joe Albright. At the conclusion of the National Anthem, everyone stood and recited the Pledge of Allegiance led by eighth grader Griffyn Roberts.

Continuing on with the program, the students added in some activities they haven’t done in the past. DCMS created a presentation called “Letters from Home” featuring local letters and commentary from Harold Heins. These letters were displayed in a video, with some of the middle schoolers reading them throughout the video. These letters gave everyone a sense of what it was like for some families as their loved ones were being sent off to fight for our country.

The DCHS choir sang God of Our Fathers by George W. Warren and America the Beautiful by Samuel A. Ward.

Shortly following the choir’s performance, the band played the Armed Forces Salute, asking the veterans to stand when their service song was played.

A National Anthem Tribute video featuring DCHS students and teachers was displayed, giving them the opportunity to voice their appreciation for veterans.

“My favorite parts of the assembly are the parts students created,” Bales said. “They seem to be more personal and meaningful.”

The VFW Auxiliary and American Legion Auxiliary were then represented by Ann Sabata and Virginia Rerucha. Sabata and Rerucha each gave a speech on how they felt Veteran’s Day should encourage everyone to talk to a veteran and see what it’s like to serve our country.

To end the program, students and guests congregated outside to watch the retiring of the colors, the gun salute, and the playing of the Taps by senior Kylie Hascall.