One does not simply avoid memes

Meme and photo by Allegra H.
Science teacher Amy Sander frequently refers to her periodic table when teaching chemistry students. Students often create their own phrases in class by using chemical names.

Allegra H.

We see them, we love them, we may even sometimes question them. Internet memes have been dominating online humor. With their fabulous facials and quick quips, they’re a simple, fast-found humor that can outlast even the shortest attention span.

Originally coined in 1976 as a cultural form of evolution, according to a 2008 Webster’s Dictionary, today’s Internet memes continue to live up to their definition as their comedy changes with the times. In essence, Internet memes are well-known character pictures that involve ludicrous humor or mimicry.

Since they first made an appearance online, memes have grown to include a variety of genres and witticisms for every occasion. Some of the early popular memes were cartoons featuring characters like Derp and Derpina. Then, they developed into real photographs such as Bad Luck Brian, Success Kid, and Overly Attached Girlfriend. The prevalence of memes continues to expand today, and thanks to technology and the ability to make one’s own memes, the meme possibilities are limitless!

“Some of my favorite memes are Confession Bear and Pun Dog,” sophomore Josh Sturgeon said. “I look up memes everyday with an app I have called Funny Pics.”

While many forms of pop culture comedy are short-lived, memes continue to possess a comical competitive edge on social media. With Vines and now Gifs making their way onto sites like Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr, it would be easy for memes to fall into the background. However, they continue to push themselves into the forefront as they adapt to current shortcomings of celebrities, athletes, and public figures. One avid user of memes on social media is junior Hannah V.

“I use memes when I’m texting friends or when I feel like tweeting something clever. It just adds a little extra something,” Hannah V. said.

Memes are not only popular on social media, but also within DCHS. English teacher Ainslee Kroenke has decorated her classroom with her own educational memes.

“I’m not going to lie. I found the idea to use memes in my classroom on Pinterest,” Kroenke said. “Sometimes if a student is doing something they shouldn’t be, I quietly point to the appropriate meme. I think they serve as subtle, humorous reminders.”

Whether you see them online or in school, one factor seems to be certain: memes will continue to possess much frequency, such humor, and very wow.