DCPS welcomes fall with annual concert

Band and Choir Director Joe Albright instructs the eighth grade choir. This is the only time the class will perform these songs this year.

Kasey Stallbaum

‘Tis the season to throw leaves in the air and watch them fall. On Oct. 24, both the David City Middle and High School band and choir members took the floor at the Annual Band and Choir Fall Concert held at the David City Activities Center.

David City Middle School band and choir has been preparing for this event since the start of the school year. The band, both seventh and eighth grade students, performed songs such as: Men of Harlech, Overture Caprice, and Gallant Journey.

The seventh grade chorus sang the songs I Bought Me A Cat and I Believe I Can Fly. Following the seventh graders was the eighth grade chorus who performed Lava and Count On Me.

“Depending on the level of where students are at and where they can grow, I chose songs that could help their development while still being fun and being enjoyable to listen to,” Band and Choir Director Joe Albright said.

Also rehearsing for the concert since the beginning  of the school year was the DCHS choir. They performed the songs For the Beauty of the Earth, The Water is Wide, and Ain’t no Mountain High Enough.

The night ended with a performance from the DCHS marching band as they played their rehearsed rock and roll hits: Let’s Go Crazy, Bohemian Rhapsody (trumpet solo by senior Kylie Hascall), and Blue Suede Shoes. Members of the marching band received this music during the summer and have had many opportunities to perform at football games and marching competitions this fall.

“Throughout the years I have been in band, I have become a better leader and have learned the importance of teamwork,” senior Kylie Hascall said. “My favorite part of this year is being able to step up into a leadership role because I am the only senior.”

Attendance at the show ranged from 200 to 400 guests. This year’s band and choir program has around 100 students who participate.

“I thought the attendance was very good,” Albright said. “It’s always hard to tell how many chairs to put out, but it is great having all the chairs and bleachers filled with people who do come out to watch.”

The David City Public Schools music program will hold three more concerts throughout the school year, and students will also attend the district music contest and honor band and choir events.