October 2016 Students of the Month

Scoop Staff

neely-som

Seventh grade: Neely Behrns is the daughter of  Brian and Tracy Behrns of David City. She is the second oldest of three. Her siblings are Hunter and Kamryn. Neely is active in volleyball, basketball, and student council. The majority of her free time is spent at her house. Neely thinks she is a good leader and is nice to others.

When Neely found out she was Student of the Month, she was happy and proud of herself because she felt as if she has worked hard since school has started. Neely believes she was chosen for the October Student of the Month because she worked hard, helped others, and stood up for everyone.

• If you won a costume contest, what would you be dressed as? A basketball player
  • What is the best part about Halloween? Getting to dress up

clayton-som

Eighth grade: Clayton Harris is the son of Rosalind Harris and Ben and Holly Harris. He has six siblings and three step-siblings. Clayton is a part of the wrestling team and likes to spend most of his free time biking around town, finishing homework, or spending time with his family.

Clayton believes he was considered Student of the Month because he gets good grades and helps out in the classroom in many ways.

“I think that I have many qualities that make me a good person, such as being completely honest about any subject or being able to teach a subject differently to a person that can not grasp onto the subject right away,” Clayton said.

• If you won a costume contest, what would you be dressed as? I would be a zombie unicorn.
  • What is the best part about Halloween? Obviously, the best part of Halloween is the candy.brittney

Freshman: Brittney Palik is the daughter of Dean and Shannon Stemple of David City and Jeff and Lori Palik of David City. She has three brothers and one sister: Jordan, Kennen, Parker, and Katie.  Activities Brittney is involved in include cheerleading and 4H. Outside of school, Brittney likes to spend time at home with her family or hang out with friends.

When Brittney found out she was selected as the freshman Student of the Month, she said she was surprised. She thinks she was considered to be Student of the Month because of her hard work in school and positive attitude.  

“I feel I am a leader by trying to always do the best I can and encouraging others to do the same,” Brittney said.

• If you won a costume contest, what would you be dressed as?  A character from a horror movie
  • What is the best part about Halloween? The best part of Halloween is watching scary movies and eating candy.

josie-som

Sophomore: Josie Cudaback is the daughter of Jeff and Christine Cudaback. Josie has an older sister, Jess, and a younger sister, Jerri. She believes some qualities like having good grades and being nice and respectful to others help make her a good person. Josie is involved in many activities within the school including, FFA, FCCLA, Stay-U, Student Council, and Quiz Bowl.

When Josie found out she was Student of the Month, she was happy because she knew her parents would be proud of her. Josie believes she is a leader inside and outside of school by helping people on assignments and classwork. She also thinks all of her activities help her become a leader outside of school by becoming involved in the community. Josie likes helping out around home and spend time with friends in her free time.

• If you won a costume contest, what would you be dressed as?  Ron Burgundy 
  • What is the best part about Halloween? The candy, especially the Kit Kat’s.

lauren-som

Junior: Lauren Hoeft is the daughter of Sandy and Scott Hoeft and lives in David City, Nebraska. She is an active participant in volleyball, basketball, track, Student Council, Quiz Bowl, Stay-U, and Platinum Dance. Most of her free time is spent at the Villa where she works as a CNA.

Lauren feels that her respectfulness, good study skills, and willingness to help others caused her to be selected as Student of the Month. Upon finding out she was the October Student of the Month, she recalls having an initial, “No way!” reaction and later became excited.

• If you won a costume contest, what would you be dressed as?  Cat in the Hat
  • What is the best part about Halloween? I like all the cute little decorations and the candy.destiny-som

Senior: Destiny Grapevine is the daughter of Sarah Stuchlik and Derek Grapevine of David City. She has one older sister, Catherine Stuchlik, a young sister, Sabreena Grapevine, and a younger brother, Anton Grapevine. Destiny likes to stay involved in school by participating in activities, clubs, and organizations such as Speech and One-Act. She is even the treasurer of National Honor Society, co-chair of STAY-U, a senator for student council, and a Butler Believes in Youth and Community representative.

She is not only active in school, but outside of school Destiny is on Region V System’s Youth Action Board (YAB), which is a board of students who show leadership skills and a dedication to preventing teens from making unhealthy decisions, Destiny said.

Destiny said she spends most of her free time at home reading books and watching Netflix. She also enjoys hanging with her friends. Some exceptional qualities she said she possesses are empathy, passion, encouragement, and consideration of others.

“I hope I was chosen because I am a good role model for other students, especially for the younger ones, such as my brother. I have shown great leadership qualities these past few years and I have tried really hard academically,” Destiny said. “I always put my education first and I make an effort to be kind and respectful to everyone, and I believe others see that both inside and outside of school.”

• If you won a costume contest, what would you be dressed as?  If I won a costume contest, I would be dressed as a vine of grapes. I think it would be funny because my last name is Grapevine.
  • What is the best part about Halloween? The best part of Halloween is dressing up. It’s fun to pick a character and go all-out on a costume. It allows everyone to be him/herself and show his or her passion for a day.

• October 2016 Students of the Month

Rachel’s Challenge inspires positivity among students

• October 2016 Students of the Month

08.18.2017

• October 2016 Students of the Month

08.17.2017

• October 2016 Students of the Month

08.15.2017

• October 2016 Students of the Month

08.14.2017

• October 2016 Students of the Month

08.11.2017

• October 2016 Students of the Month

08.10.2017

• October 2016 Students of the Month

2017 Alumni Dinner

• October 2016 Students of the Month

State Track 2017

• October 2016 Students of the Month

DCPS teachers say their goodbyes after 30 years of service

October 2016 Students of the Month