Tight defense, strong running game lead Scouts to 33-0 victory

Jonah S.

When you are fortunate enough to have a running back almost break 200 rushing yards, and you have a defense that keeps a goose egg on the scoreboard the whole game, you know it will be a good game for your team. The Scouts had this opportunity, however, it didn’t look too promising at the beginning.

Until the end of the first quarter, both the Scouts and the DC West Falcons struggled to put a drive together. Both teams punted the ball back and forth, gaining minimal yards on each drive. Perhaps due in part to  the teams getting used to the muddy field conditions or because of  the atmosphere of their first football game of the season. In the first quarter, senior Ben D. had a fumble recovery for the Scouts, but the team was unable to capitalize on the opportunity. The Scouts also had a mishandled punt that resulted in negative yards.

“We have a good group of guys who work and play well together as a team. Our seniors held us together during some adversity on the field,” head coach Amp Ferg said.

Once the Scouts got going, they were hard to stop. With the ball inside the five-yard line starting the second quarter, the Scouts handed it off to senior Tony M. for a three-yard touchdown run to put the first score on the board. Senior Adam R. tacked on the extra point to make the score 7-0.

“Our offense wears people down. If we run the ball successfully in the first quarter, it will lead to more opportunities for scoring drives in the later quarters,” Ferg said.

On DC West’s pursuing possession, the weather conditions created a difficult snap which resulted in a fumble. The fumble was recovered by senior Jonah S., and a few plays later, Ben D. rumbled down the middle for another touchdown. After a mishandled snap, Adam R. missed the extra point, but the Scouts were up 13-0.

Later in the second quarter, the Scouts had the ball inside the five-yard line again. After two penalties, the Scouts were able to score on an eleven-yard touchdown pass from Ben D. to junior Logan D., leaving four seconds on the clock before half. The Scouts went into halftime leading 19-0, but they weren’t satisfied yet.

“We were running out of time after receiving two penalties for false start.  This made us go to the passing game in order to make the drive successful,” senior Ben D. said.  “I scrambled to the right and saw an open receiver down the field. I was fortunate that Logan D. ran a good route and was able to catch my pass.”

On the opening kick of the second half, the Scouts caused a fumble that was then recovered by senior John J. The Scouts were unable to convert on the opportunity and the Falcons took over at their own four yard line.

Later in the third quarter, Tony M. ran the ball in from 14 yards out. The Scouts tried for two, but were unsuccessful. The final scoring possession started with Ben D.’s punt return. He returned all the way to the twenty-yard line, where Tony M. ran it in the very next play. The Scouts defeated the Falcons 33-0.

Ben D. led the team in completed passes, going six of nine for 43 yards. Logan D. led the team in receptions with three going for 22 yards and one touchdown. Tony M. carried the work load for rushing, getting 198 yards on 21 carries for three touchdowns.

The Scouts start the season 1-0, with a bye week to follow. Their next game is at home on Sept. 12 against Milford-Dorchester.