David City FFA presents skills at State Fair

Courtesy Photo
Sophomore Laurel Ockander shows off her ability to work with her sheep. Not only did she receive three purple ribbons for 4-H, she also received three purples and a blue ribbon for FFA.

Macy Svoboda, Co-Editor

Six members of the David City FFA Chapter showed animals at the Nebraska State Fair Aug. 26 through Sept. 5 in Grand Island, NE. These members included: Laurel and Lydia Ockander, Brooke and Kirsten Bell, Grant Romshek, and Kalan Zeilinger.

This is Laurel’s fourth year participating in FFA and her sixth year showing sheep. Laurel’s younger sister, Lydia, showed in the Intermediate Sheep Showmanship, as it’s her first year participating in FFA.

“All of us have been exercising our animals, working with them every other day, and changing their feed to fit their needs. We are just making sure they look good,” sophomore Laurel Ockander said.

Showing sheep along with the Ockander sisters are the Bell sisters, Brooke and Kirsten. Brooke will be in her fifth year of FFA while Kirsten is in her third year.

Romshek, a David City Aquinas student, was the fifth member to show. He showed Beef and Swine throughout the weekend. Zeilinger, a 2016 graduate of David City High School, also represented the David City FFA Chapter at this year’s State Fair.

David City FFA Adviser Jenny Kocian said the showers had to take care of their own animals and prepared for it [State Fair] themselves mostly. Kocian explains how it’s a family affair and many of them show over the summer, where they are gone almost every weekend working with their animals.

Each of the David City FFA members who showed at this year’s State Fair came home with ribbons in their divisions, for both FFA and 4-H. Brooke came home with two purples and a blue ribbon, while her sister Kirsten brought home two purples and a red ribbon. Laurel earned three purples and a blue ribbon, as well as three purple ribbons for 4-H. Lydia received four purple ribbons. Romshek earned three purples and two blue ribbons. Lastly, Zeilinger came home with three purple ribbons.

“Overall, we did well. I hope next year we can do better and we can keep improving, but the quality of livestock we bring as a Chapter is high, and we always show well,”  Laurel said.