2016 Homecoming Candidates

Renee Backstrom

Homecoming candidates front row left to right: Iris Prochaska, Kylie Hascall, Brandy Barlean, Becca Meusch, Kennedy Hecker. Back row: Ryan Worm, Ross Kirby, Evan Forney, Daniel White, Matthew Lewis.

Renee Backstrom

brandy-edited

Brandy: Brandy Barlean is the daughter of Sam and Angie Barlean of David City.  Brandy is an active member of the Cheer and Dance team and Yearbook staff. In previous years, Brandy has taken part in volleyball, basketball, track, FFA, and held the position of Class Secretary.

Outside of school, Brandy has danced at Desiree’s Dance Studio for 13 years and is a strong volunteer at her church. Volunteer work Brandy has done is helped at the Methodist soup supper, Methodist and Lutheran VBS Camp, youth group, greeter, usher, candle lighter, and ran games at the back to school carnival at St. Joseph’s Villa. Awards Brandy has received include: All-American Nominee for dance, Honorable Mention, Spirit awards through NDA dance camp, and multiple team awards at different dance competitions with Desiree’s Dancers and Platinum Dance team. Brandy is currently a CNA at David Place and plans to attend Southeast Community College in Lincoln or Northeast Community College in Norfolk to pursue a degree in the field of nursing.

• What is your favorite part about Homecoming? The high amount of spirit and excitement everyone has during the week. Also the downtown pep-rally, it gets everyone pumped.
  • What is your favorite part of the circus? The trapeze artists are my favorite because they can do some pretty cool tricks.

kylie-editedKylie: Kylie Hascall is the daughter of Gary and Marilyn Hascall of David City. Kylie is currently the vice-president of National Honor Society and secretary of  Zero-K Science Club. She is on the Wellness Council, Quiz Bowl, STAY-U, marching/concert band, was the junior class secretary, and participates in multiple Honor Bands.

Outside of school, Kylie participates in the Columbus Community Jazz Orchestra and Masonic All-Star Marching Band. She has also played taps at multiple military funerals and events, the National Anthem at softball games, rang bells for the Salvation Army, tutored younger students in band, and led the community pep band. Kylie has been awarded with three Varsity letters in band, the Daughters of the American Legion Citizenship Award, U.S. Bank Believers and Achievers Nominee, Bronze Award for Voice of Democracy Essay Contest, U.S. Army All-American Marching Band Nominee, and High Honor Roll. Kylie plans on attending Wayne State College to major in Elementary Education.

• What is your favorite part about Homecoming? My favorite part is dressing up and having a good excuse to get my hair done.
  • What is your favorite part of the circus? Definitely not the clowns. I hate clowns. The animal acts are always entertaining to watch.

kennedy-editedKennedy: Kennedy Hecker is the daughter of Mike and Laura Smith of David City. Kennedy is currently involved in Cheer, STAY-U, and the BBYC group. Previously she was involved in softball and FFA. Kennedy is a member of the American Legion Junior Auxiliary, a member of the David City Heritage Club, and works at Didier’s Grocery Store. She has delivered Meals on Wheels, assisted with Vacation Bible School, has served meals and helped clean up for the David City Alumni Dinner, manned a water/cheer station for the Staching Through the Snow race, assisted with Little Girls Cheer and Dance Camp, helped plant flowers for the David City Heritage Club, assisted Timpte with their carnival fundraiser, helped man a community car wash, assisted the fair board with clean-up each morning of the Butler County Fair, assisted St. Joseph’s Villa staff with their back to school carnival, and presented at a Women’s Auxiliary meeting.

Kennedy was selected as the Cornhusker Girls State Representative at DCHS, held the position of Game and Parks Representative at Cornhusker Girls State, made Honorable Mention, and is a three year letter winner for cheerleading. After graduation, Kennedy plans to attend Southeast Community College to major in Physical Therapy.

• What is your favorite part about Homecoming? My favorite part about homecoming would be cheering and dancing at the downtown pep rally.
  • What is your favorite part of the circus? My favorite part about the circus would be seeing the animals.

becca-editedBecca: Rebecca Meusch is the daughter of Ron and Lori Meusch of Bellwood. Becca is involved in volleyball, FFA, STAY-U, Speech, track, FCA, SCOOP, One-Act, Student Council, is currently the senior class president, and is the NHS Secretary. Outside of school, Becca is a member of St. Peter’s Catholic Church and was a 2016 Nebraska Cornhusker Girls State Attendee. She also volunteers at the DCHS Blood Drive, the St. Peter’s Church Soup Supper, and the Salvation Army bell-ringing. In addition to volunteer work, Becca is employed by St. Joseph’s Villa as a Dietary Aide and is the owner-operator of a woodworking business.

Becca has been awarded five State Speech individual medals, four State Journalism individual medals, two State Speech Team Championships, one State Speech Team Runner-Up, State Track qualifier, two Varsity volleyball letters, three Varsity track letters, three Varsity Speech letters, two-time State FFA Proficiency Runner-Up, State FFA Team Biotechnology Champion, five-time NSAA Academic All-State recipient, 2015 DCHS Voice of Democracy Winner, 2014 Conference One-Act Best Actress, and was a NSAA Believer and Achiever nominee. After graduation, Becca plans on attending a four year college to major in Health Sciences as a Physician’s Assistant.

• What is your favorite part about Homecoming? Seeing the school spirit and the dance-offs at the dance make it a good time.
  • What is your favorite part of the circus? I like watching the fire jugglers.

iris-edited

Iris: Iris Prochaska is the daughter Angie Frier of David City. She is a member of the Yearbook staff, STAY-U, Speech, One-Act, and FCCLA. Outside of school, Iris volunteers to teach art at a summer art camp held by the Butler County Art Council and Bone Creek Museum of Agrarian Art, helps at the BBYC booth during the fair, and has donated multiple times to the Red Cross. She also works at Pizza Hut as a waitress.

Iris has received a leadership award at June Jam, a certificate for Yearbook, and Honorable Mention her junior year. Iris plans to study Graphic Design, but she is currently undecided where she will attend.

• What is your favorite part about Homecoming? My favorite part about homecoming is definitely the dress up days, they’re always a lot of fun and you can get as creative as you want.
  • What is your favorite part of the circus? I’ve been to one circus performance called Circus De Soleil, which was absolutely amazing! My favorite part of it was definitely the acrobats.

evan-edited

Evan: Evan Forney is the son of Shawn Forney of Bellwood and Janine Dvorak of David City. Evan is a member of STAY-U, Speech, Wellness Council, One-Act, Quiz Bowl, Zero-K Science Club, is the NHS president, and is a Student Council Executive Officer. He has previously been involved in football, wrestling, and track.

Outside of school, Evan has been a server during mass at St. Peter’s Catholic Church for 10 years, has volunteered to work at St. Peter’s Annual Soup Supper for eight years, helped in Salvation Army bell-ringing, and helped at the Blue Valley Food Drive. Evan has been awarded one State Speech Team Championship, one State Wrestling and Wrestling Duals Team Championship, and High Honor Roll for four years. Evan is planning to attend the University of Nebraska-Lincoln or Omaha to become a Physician’s Assistant.

• What is your favorite part about Homecoming? My favorite part of homecoming is everything leading up to it: the excitement, the dress up days, and especially the pep rallies.
  • What is your favorite part of the circus? My favorite part about the circus is seeing anything that would normally kill someone without practice, like throwing knives at someone blindfolded. You just can’t beat a good thrill.

ross-edited

Ross: Ross Kirby is the son of Mark and Tina Kirby of David City. Ross is a member of NHS, STAY-U, track, basketball, Student Council, and is the football team captain. He was previously involved in FFA. Outside of school, Ross is an usher for Redeemer Lutheran Church, runs the clock for the annual Breakers Tournament, helps with little kids football and basketball camps, mows for Redeemer Lutheran Church, helps with the David City High School Blood Drive, and serves cookies at parent teacher conferences.

Ross has been awarded a Varsity letter the past three years of football, basketball, and track, All-Conference Honorable Mention in both football and basketball, Academic All-State, two State medals in track, Honor Roll for the past three years, and was named MVP of his basketball team for the 2015-16 year. Ross plans on attending the University of Nebraska-Lincoln to major in Fisheries and Wildlife.

• What is your favorite part about Homecoming? My favorite part is seeing people dress up and show off their Scout pride.
  • What is your favorite part of the circus? Watching the people who swing in the air on ropes–that’s pretty neat.

matthew-edited

Matt: Matthew Lewis is the son of Jeff and Renee Lewis of Bellwood. Matt is a member of the basketball team, NHS, football team, and is the Student Council Co-President. He has previously been involved in FCCLA. Outside of school, Matt is currently a volunteer firefighter for the Bellwood Fire Department. He has lettered in Varsity basketball three times, lettered in Varsity football two times, High Honor Roll for three years in a row, and received the NCPA Award for Academic Excellence and Exemplary Leadership in Boys Basketball in the 2015-2016 season.

Matt plans to attend college at Northeast Community College in Norfolk or Southeast Community College in Milford to study Building Construction Technology.

• What is your favorite part about Homecoming? Being able to play at the football games has always been my favorite part.
  • What is your favorite part of the circus? There is always something different and crazy everywhere you look.

daniel-edited

Daniel: Daniel White is the son of Doug and Diane White of Ulysses. Daniel is currently a member of the wrestling team, golf team, is a football team captain, and is the Student Council Co-President. Previously, he has been involved in FFA, FCA, basketball, and track.

Outside of school, Daniel has volunteered at his Church Festival for eight years, volunteered at his church soup dinners for eight years, and worked at the Butler County Fair for FFA for two years. Daniel has been awarded a Varsity letter for football all four years, a Varsity letter for wrestling two years, a track letter, three Varsity golf letters, and District Baseball Runner-Up in 2016. Daniel plans to attend the University of Nebraska-Lincoln for Sports Communications and Broadcasting.

• What is your favorite part about Homecoming? The game. We can’t have a homecoming without the game. Everyone is there and comes out to watch us. It’s great.
  • What is your favorite part of the circus? My favorite part about the circus is the acts that the ring leaders do with the animals.

ryan-edited

Ryan: Ryan Worm is the son of John and Diana Worm of David City. Ryan is a member of FFA, wrestling, STAY-U, track, football, and Student Council. Outside of school, Ryan helps with little kids wrestling practice, little kids football camp, Immaculate Conception Church, the Bloodmobile, youth and legion baseball, American Legion Waffleman Fundraiser, and has helped take the flags down after Veterans Day.

Ryan has been awarded Honorable Mention, a sixth place medal at State Wrestling his sophomore year, Nebraska National Dual Wrestling Team, wrestled in Disney Duals, and qualified for State FFA in Land Judging. Ryan plans to attend the University of Nebraska Lincoln to major in architecture.

• What is your favorite part about Homecoming? My favorite part about homecoming is the football game and the pep rally on Friday.
  • What is your favorite part of the circus? People jumping through the fire and acrobats are my favorite.