Scout students dedicate summer to sports

Courtesy Photo
After a long day of work, the DCHS football players hit the field for seven on seven. The team attended a football camp in Shelby over the summer.

Olivia Couch, Co-Editor

Everyone knows of the work David City High School students put in during the nine months we call the school year. With balancing homework, studying, class time, and extra curricular activities, the students definitely earn their summer break. Contrary to popular belief, however, summer for most students is not spent lounging around.

While some students choose to take on more classwork, others try to make money by getting a job. But for student athletes, most of their time is spent bettering their game. The most common place to find these athletes is in the weight room, which is open most weekdays during the summer. With many different workout plans, the off-season is the perfect time to improve personal strength and agility.

“When it finally comes to practice, everything seems less difficult. Conditioning is easier, you’re stronger, faster, and you already have that bond with your teammates that you spent the whole summer with,” senior Daniel White says.

Camps and team bonding are another critical aspect of summer preparation. Winter sports often fit in their time with the athletes in June, while the fall sports take July. Then there are teams that meet continuously during the break. A prime example of this is those on the cheer and dance teams. They have met to perfect their routines all summer long while also getting involved in the community by doing things such as cleaning the fairgrounds.

“A big benefit to putting in practice over break is that teams get to realize who they will be seeing most of the year and can start bonding,” senior Brandy Barlean states. “It’s also a good time to nail fundamentals. Because of this, we are able to do things like perform on the field during a Saltdogs game, which is awesome.”

Of course, students also have to think about balancing summer commitments and their personal lives. Time can seem to be pretty crunched, and summer flies by just a bit faster. Despite the work, athletes often recall the fun times they shared with their team as well.

“It can be hard to plan around your work schedule and still make time to go to weights, open gym, or anything like that. However, I also remember going to South Dakota for football camp right after school was out,” White recalls. “It was probably the most fun I’ve ever had at a team camp. We met up with the kids we met last year and had a blast. The memories we made up there will last a lifetime.”

By the time season rolls around, the athletes tend to have the role of being a teammate down. Combined with all the drills they have worked on, starting the season means less of learning the basics, and more of get-down-to-business type work. Rest assured, the upcoming seasons for the Scouts look to be great ones.