Scoop undertakes new format, expands opportunity

Photo by Maya P.

Junior Nicole B. adds a story to the school news website. Nicole is the publication's Co-Editor.

Maya P., Co-Editor

In a year full of transitions and changes, it only seems natural to also improve the way we find out about these adjustments. The Scoop has ditched the paper copy and taken up an online viewership under The Latest Scoop in its stead.

The school board approved the transition to an online news publication on May 12. The board decided it would be beneficial to go completely paperless.

Newly reinstated journalism instructor Ainslee Kroenke brought attention to the direction school newspapers were heading to DCHS principal Cortney Couch. Kroenke had already done research on the topic of online newspapers when she suggested the idea of updating the format.

“She gave me the names of a few online school newspapers. I looked it up myself and loved what I saw,” Couch said. “So at that point we decided to pursue making it happen.”

After getting permission to speak to the school board, Kroenke prepared a presentation explaining the benefits of a paperless publication.

As of last year, the school was spending a total of $3,821 per year for the monthly newspaper—$682 on paper, $2,410 on color ink, and $720 on postage. To run the news website, the only costs are the subscription of $600 for the first year and $300 a year thereon out. An online version also allows advertisements to support the program.

“The Scoop staff has always had an abundance of story ideas, but we always had to cut many of these ideas simply because we didn’t have the physical paper space to execute them,” Kroenke said. “The online format allows the Scoop staff to execute an infinite amount of stories, while also allowing the staff to cover a wider range of our student body.”

With a new format, school news has the ability to create a larger readership and increase the number of stories available for publication. No longer will readers wait between paper distribution for a story over events that happened two weeks ago. Now, stories can be published immediately instead of waiting for the distribution of the monthly issue.

The new format will also give the staff the opportunity to incorporate more photographs and to add video and polls to the publication.

“Our staff members used to spend hours taking photos at events, but only one of the photos would end up published in the paper,” Kroenke said. “Now we can include photo galleries and even video on the website.”

Since journalism is a NSAA activity, the students compete at the state level. Every year the publication sends in stories and photographs for judging. The news website format will increase potential contest entries for The Latest Scoop staff.

“This transition is a learning process for all of us. There will be bumps along the way, but our ultimate goal is to bring as much news to the student body as quickly as we can,” Kroenke said.