DCHS track team on the grind to State finish line

Courtesy Photo
(Front Row from Left) Senior Macy Grotelueschen, freshman Macy Svoboda, sophomore Olivia Couch, and junior Rebecca Meusch. (Back) Freshman Luis Salazar Villanueva, senior Brandon Theween, senior Logan Detmer, senior Wesley Unger, and junior Ross Kirby.

Becca Meusch

The David City High School track team gets into the blocks and prepares for State at Omaha Burke on May 20-21 after qualifying eight events at Districts on May 12 hosted by O’Neil High School.

The girls team finished with 21 points in ninth place behind O’Neil with 28 points. The boys team finished strong in sixth place with 44 points behind Boone Central/Newman Grove with 58 points. Senior Wesley Unger also beat the school record in the 800 with a time of 1:59.31.

Finishing second in the triple jump and qualifying for a second year in a row, sophomore Olivia Couch qualified for State with a jump of 34 feet 11 inches. Also qualifying for State by time in the 300 hurdles, junior Rebecca Meusch placed sixth with a time of 50.06. After Pierce’s disqualification in the girls 400 meter relay, the Scout’s team of Meusch, freshman Macy Svoboda, senior Macy Grotelueschen, Couch, and the alternate of senior Jesse Grotelueschen, finished second to advance to State with a time of 53.05.

“As far as the girls team goes, I’ve seen a lot of improvement. We’ve had lots of PRs and lots of potential showing for seasons to come. I felt like it was a great day at Districts. Emotions were all over the place, and it was awesome,” Couch said. “Anything really can happen and it’s when the whole season starts to pay off.”

Automatically qualifying for the boys in the long jump, senior Logan Detmer placed fifth with a jump of 21 feet 4 inches. Senior Wesley Unger is also Burke Bound in all of his events. Unger placed second in the 400 with a time of 50.37 and first in the 800 with a time of 1:59.31, which beat the school record. Unger also helped his 1600 relay team consisting of Detmer, senior Brandon Theween, and junior Ross Kirby, place second to qualify for State with a time of 3:29.45. The 3200 meter relay team of Theween, Unger, Kirby, and freshman Luis Salazar Villanueva won Districts and advanced to State with a time of 8:27.79.   

“Both relay teams have a chance to make some noise. Both teams ran their season best times at the District meet, but I don’t feel like they’ve peaked yet,” Boys Head Coach Todd Carmichael said. “The State meet would be the perfect time to run to their full potential.”

Additional medalists at Districts for the girls included Couch in the 100 meter dash with a time of 13.46 to place sixth, Jesse Grotelueschen placed fifth in the 800 meter run with a time of 2:33.63, and the 1600 meter relay team of Meusch, Macy Grotelueschen, Jesse Grotelueschen, and freshman Morgan Eickmeier placed sixth with a time of 4:37:52.

For the boys, Detmer placed sixth in the 400 meter dash with a time of 52.87, Kirby placed fourth in the 800 with a time of 2:05.22, and sophomore Melvin Hernandez placed sixth in the 1600 with a time of 4:59.66.  

“All of the qualifiers worked hard throughout the season to prepare for the district meet. Wesley, Ross and Logan all competed at the State meet last year and Brandon went as an alternate on the relay,” Carmichael said. “That experience showed them what they were working towards and gave them more focus this year to get back to Burke.”

Both boys and girls teams have had a successful season and finished out strong. It’s been eight years since a girl’s 400 meter relay team made it to State and over two decades for a girl hurdler. Unger said the 1600 meter relay team is looking good this season and has cut over 11 seconds off their time, and they are going for school records in both the 1600 and 3200 meter relays.

The first event at State will be the boys 3200 meter relay held on May 20 at 9 a.m. Following that, Unger will compete in preliminaries for the 400 meter dash at around 11:15 a.m., and Meusch will be running 300 hurdles at approximately 11:55 a.m. On Saturday the first event will be long jump for Detmer at 8:30 a.m., followed by the girls 400 meter relay at 10:45 a.m., and then Couch at 1:30 p.m. in the triple jump. Final events will follow.

“You never know how things will go. I pray for the best, but I have a feeling that no matter what place we get, we will all do our best. I feel extremely blessed. It’s an amazing opportunity that I’m fortunate to experience more than once in my life,” Couch said. “Being at state is overwhelming. You start getting a feel of just how many people live in the state. It’s something I hope everyone can experience sometime in their life. Come out and support if you can!”