Spoof: New drill coming soon to David City High School

The graph made by the SNC shows the daily fluctuation of temperatures throughout the year. Not only does it show the average high and low temperatures, but in between the lines indicates the  average daily temperatures.

Courtesy Photo

The graph made by the SNC shows the daily fluctuation of temperatures throughout the year. Not only does it show the average high and low temperatures, but in between the lines indicates the average daily temperatures.

Olivia Couch

Living in Nebraska means having to be ready for all types of weather conditions over a small span of time. Sunny days can turn into a blizzard in the blink of an eye. This very thought is what inspired administrators at David City High School to propose a new type of drill beginning in the 2016-17 school year.

Everyone has heard of the standard fire, tornado, and intruder drills. However, with the hectic weather Nebraskans experience, students and teachers need to be prepared for a power-outage situation. At any given moment, staff and students at DCHS could be without electricity for a long period of time.

“I think I could manage the air conditioning more than the blasting heat, but I understand the need for the drill,” sophomore Jessica Knopp said. “However, this can become a problem if I forget spare clothes. It [the drill] could be both helpful and harmful. We will just have to see how it goes.”

The new drill provides a possible solution to this problem. According to the Administrative Board, students should be carrying appropriate gear, jackets, gloves, pants, and any other necessities for any type of weather. During the drill, the air conditioning or heater could be blasting at full power for as long as 30 minutes. Once the drill commences, staff and students will be given a short period of time to attain their proper attire before proceeding with class as the drill continues.

The School of Natural Resources Climate Corner recorded each day’s temperature, showing the weather those in Lincoln, NE, live in. After graphing the results, they managed to find an average line.

“We had a lot of crazy results,” SNR member Kevin Aldrich said. “There were times when it was 50 degrees one day and 15 the next. It was interesting to come up with an average for those who live in this state over the course of a year.”

Administrators at DCHS said they plan to initiate the drill sometime during the upcoming school year. They explained that students should be prepared for the drill by keeping spare clothing in a gym/hallway locker. The goal of these drills is to not only help students understand the importance of being prepared for the weather, but to also turn DCHS into a better and safer environment, they said.

• Spoof: New drill coming soon to David City High School

01.07.19

01.04.19

01.03.19

Scout wrestlers “learn to wrestle under pressure”

News

DCHS music students spread holiday cheer at annual concert

12.20.18

12.19.18

12.18.18

12.17.18

Scouts split against Panthers