Good “run” at first track meet sets team up for rest of season

Sophomore Riley Kirby prepares himself for the 400 with fellow teammate junior Lee Betzen. In order to have a better start, runners set up in blocks before they run.

Renee Backstrom

Following two and a half weeks of preparation, the David City High School track team competed at their first meet of the season by traveling to Seward on March 17 to partake in the Concordia Invite.

The boys track team finished fifth out of eleven teams, with both relay teams taking began on a positive note, finishing fifth out of eleven teams. Both relay teams took the first place titles of the day. The team consisting of sophomore Melvin Hernandez, junior Ross Kirby and seniors Brandon Theewen and Wesley Unger won the 3200 with a time of 8:57.22. The 1600 meter relay team of  Kirby, Theewen, Unger and senior Logan Detmer prevailed with a time of 3:43.06.

“I think the meet went pretty much as I expected,” Boys Head Coach Todd Carmichael said. “I knew we would do well in middle distance, the relays, and long jump. I was pleasantly surprised with the improvement of the throwers, also.”

The boys were strong in many other events as well. Unger was the leader of the 800 finishing in first, followed by Kirby in second and freshman Justin White in sixth. In field events, Detmer earned second place in long jump and sixth in high jump.

“My goals for the season are the same every year: to compete well in every meet, to finish in the top half at the Conference meet, and to qualify as many athletes as possible for the State meet,” Coach Carmichael said. “I think we are at a good start to accomplishing those.”

The girls team competed hard but unfortunately fell short and tied for ninth with Central City. Sophomore Olivia Couch led the girls for the day and received third in triple jump.

“I always have high expectations at any competition,” Girls Head Coach Brian Hermelbracht said.  “I knew I had a lot of young and new athletes competing for the first time in Class B, so I wasn’t sure how they would handle that. I expected my veterans to hold their own and do well, and for the most part, they did.”

The DCHS track team then went on to compete at the Aquinas Triangular on March 22. They came back with many achievements, including showing improvement from the Concordia Invite. The track team’s next meet will be March 28 for the David City Invite.

“I have a great group of girls that are willing to work hard and make each other better every day, so it is only a matter of time before that hard work starts paying off,”  coach Hermelbracht said.