Going the extra mile

Freshman Morgan Eickmeier warms up for the hurdles. Girls competing in hurdles are Eickmeier, junior Becca Meusch, and fellow freshman Macy Svoboda.

Maya Peirce, Co-Editor

Cleats pounding polyurethane lanes, poles vaulting competitors over sky-high bars, 90 degree heat bearing down mercilessly: it’s track season.

However, before a runner can even touch a uniform, they have to start from the beginning. David City High School has introduced a new way to practice this year, especially when it comes to the girls track team.

The season began a week before it was set to, with tracksters taking the initiative with team bonding, preseason conditioning, and a trip to Columbus for swimming and eating at Hy-Vee.

“Every person has their own reason for going out for track, and to be honest, it’s mainly been a filler for most people for the fall sports coming up,” senior Macy Grotelueschen said. “People are definitely taking this year more seriously. Like the whole swimming thing? That was so much fun, and everyone enjoyed that.”

Coaches have been encouraging teammates to set goals for themselves, which, according to Grotelueschen, is much more effective than the routine “do your best” or “try your hardest.”

“They gave us a paper and told us to write down the events we’d be participating in. I’m in shot put and discus, so I put down my goal distance. I put down 38 feet for shot put, and that’s what I want to get by the end of the year,” Grotelueschen said.

Along with the new practice regiments, the girls team has found an influx in numbers as well. Girls Head Coach Brian Hermelbracht gives credit for that to other sports’ coaches, like Volleyball Coach Emily Maresh and Girls Basketball Coach Nathan Wall, for emphasizing track’s importance.

“As coaches we have an understanding how we all need each other to have successful athletic programs,” Hermelbracht said. “I have a number of girls out because they know it is going to make them better at the sport they love playing.”

In other high school sports, background knowledge of plays and strategies is required to excel. In track, however, senior Alesha Rethwisch believes that the sport is much more welcoming to those who don’t have the same athletic background as football or volleyball.

“When all sports are working together to create better athletes instead of specializing in a sport, students are going to see a positive change in their athletic performance,” Hermelbracht said. “Athletes who come out for track are going to get faster, stronger, jump higher, and become more conditioned than the athletes who don’t.”