Column: Involvement crucial for school, students needed

Renee Backstrom

Renee Backstrom

Activities are a worldwide opportunity. Recently the involvement at David City High School has been at an all-time low. I remember a time when our school had too many students involved in sports and activities. Now we’ve scrounged to find people to go out for football and we haven’t even had enough people to make up a Reserve team for basketball. How are we supposed to take State in activities when we don’t have enough people to back up the teams? Even if you don’t feel you are good at something, how do you know if you have never tried? Take the senior class, for example. They’re a large class filled with lots of involvement through almost all their students. So why can’t their kind of involvement spread throughout the rest of the school?

Getting involved in extracurricular activities at school is a wise choice, and it can be very important in helping you develop many skills that shape your character and work ethic. Research shows there are definitely benefits on why you should be involved in school activities.

Being involved helps you learn time management and how to prioritize. As adults, we need to get used to juggling various tasks and commitments. Getting involved in extracurricular activities at a young age allows everyone to broaden their horizon of interests.

Joining one of the clubs or activities at school comes with a commitment to that activity for a period of time. Learning to take on dedications like these is very important, and these activities can teach you that not holding your end of the deal may cause you to fail.  

Getting involved in a school activity shows that you aren’t thinking just for yourself, but also for the school or even the team of that sport. Don’t just join because John Baylor says we need one extracurricular to get into college. Join for you!

Being surrounded by others with common interests can really help boost your self-esteem. Some students’ self-esteem may be fairly low, but putting yourself out there and really engaging in things can help boost your confidence right up. Everyone wants to find something that they are really good at, and extracurricular activities provide them with a way that they can get involved in something and really shine.

Going to college gives students the opportunity to meet new people. For some, that could be really scary, but instead of looking at the negatives, think about the positives. Getting involved in social activities will give students a chance to branch out and meet new people.

Of course, while joining a few activities is a great idea, there is a point where you need to draw the line.

While some may argue that the activities offered to students are “stupid”, others disagree. This prevailing attitude shouldn’t change our view on activities nor should it affect our decision on whether we want to be involved or not. Be involved, even if it is just in the slightest way! Just ask those who are involved: yes, they may be very busy, but I can assure you they would tell you they wouldn’t change it for the world when it’s all over once they graduate.