February Students of the Month

Scoop Staff

Cavan

Seventh grade: Cavan Navrkal is the son of Dawn Navrkal and Kevin Navrkal. He is the youngest of his three other siblings: Chris, Cody, and Cassie. Cavan is an active participant in football, basketball, track, and baseball. During his free time, you can find Cavan at home or participating in basketball activities.

Upon finding out that he was Student of the Month, he said was surprised. However, he believed he achieved this accomplishment by his tendency to help others that are in need, and his solid work ethics.

• What is your favorite or least favorite part of Valentine’s Day? My favorite part is getting bags of candy and cookies from friends and family that care about me.
  • What is your favorite Valentine’s Day candy? I always like getting Fruit Roll-Ups.

Hunter O'Dell

Eighth grade: Hunter O’Dell is the son of Scott and Charity O’Dell of Bellwood. He has two brothers, Garrett and Andy, and four sisters, Chelsea, Cheyenne, Cassy, and Lexia. Hunter is actively involved in FCCLA and band. One of his after school activities include playing video games, his favorite being Dark Souls 2.

Hunter believes that his willingness to help and listen to his friends is what makes him a good person. He said the reason he believes he was selected as Student of the Month was because teachers think he’s smart and he tries to help other students as much as he can. Hunter thinks it’s his differences and not acting like a hooligan that set him apart and make him a leader.

“I was in Schlautman’s class and it came on over the announcements and I wasn’t listening, so Mr. Schlautman was like, ‘Congratulations.’ and I go, ‘For what?’ When he told me I was Student of the Month, I thought ‘Oh, that’s cool!’”

• What is your favorite or least favorite part about Valentine’s Day? It’s the day where everybody loves each other. And if you’re single, like, it sucks to be you.
  • What is your favorite Valentine’s Day candy? Just chocolate. I’m not into anything really fancy.

Will Danielson

Freshman: Will Danielson is the son of Kelly and Julie Danielson of David City. Sports Will is involved in include football, basketball, golf, baseball, and soccer. He is also on the Quiz Bowl team and is the freshman Student Council Representative.

Will said he feels he was chosen for Student of the Month because he is funny, outgoing, and caring. He said he is happy to know that his hard work in both the classroom and on the court has not gone unnoticed.

• What is your favorite or least favorite part about Valentine’s Day? My least favorite part about Valentine’s day is not having a valentine.
  • What is your favorite Valentine’s Day candy? My favorite candy is SweeTart Candy Hearts.

Jaden

Sophomore: Jaden Pflum is the son of Tammy and Mike Pflum and brother to Katie of David City. Jaden is a District Representative for FCCLA and he also plays soccer. Outside of school, he likes to spend his free time with friends, at work, or at home.

Jaden believes he was chosen as Student of the Month because he puts forth a good effort in class, is responsible, and is able to be a leader. Jaden says he can lead a group discussion while also having fun, but can still get things done.

• What is your favorite or least favorite part about Valentine’s Day? Being surrounded with happy and loving people!
  • What is your favorite Valentine’s Day candy? Candy hearts.

Matt Lewis edit

Junior: Matthew Lewis is the son of Jeff and Renee Lewis of Bellwood. He has one older sister, Jenn, who is 22, an older brother, Hunter, who is 20, and a younger sister, Raevin, who is 14. Matthew likes to stay actively involved in school by playing football and basketball as well as participating in FCCLA and Student Council. He is also a Senator of the junior class for Student Council.

“I was a little excited. I kind of wanted to get Student of the Month all year. So I have finally got it,” Matthew said.

During this time of year, Matthew said he spends most of his free time playing sports or just relaxing at home. Matthew said he likes to show his leadership skills by participating in classroom activities and helping others on the football field and basketball court. Some exceptional qualities he said he possesses include being easy to get along with, being outgoing, and being intelligent.

• What is your favorite or least favorite part about Valentine’s Day? My favorite thing is all the candy around. Least favorite part is how big of a deal people make out of Valentine’s Day.
  • What is your favorite Valentine’s Day candy? Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.

Dustin

Senior: Dustin Papa is the son of Terry and Karen Papa of Linwood. Dustin is involved in multiple sports and activities inside and outside of school, such as football, wrestling, golf, FFA, Student Council, National Honor Society, and 4-H. In his free time, Dustin said he is either at wrestling practice, sleeping at home, or working at the feedlot in Octavia. Qualities Dustin feels make him a good person include his ability to work hard and his care for others.

When he found out he was Student of the Month, Dustin said he was happy because he feels it’s an honor. Dustin thinks he was considered Student of the Month because he keeps himself involved and he strives to be the best he can be. Dustin feels he is a leader by always listening to coaches and teachers and trying to set an example for younger teammates and students.

• What is your favorite or least favorite part about Valentine’s Day? Well I don’t really celebrate it, but I do like Cupid. Those big teddy bears though… I hate those. It’s a waste of money. You could just get the smaller one and still snuggle up with that thing.
  • What is your favorite Valentine’s Day candy? I like those little candy-heart things because they taste good.

• February Students of the Month

Rachel’s Challenge inspires positivity among students

• February Students of the Month

08.18.2017

• February Students of the Month

08.17.2017

• February Students of the Month

08.15.2017

• February Students of the Month

08.14.2017

• February Students of the Month

08.11.2017

• February Students of the Month

08.10.2017

• February Students of the Month

2017 Alumni Dinner

• February Students of the Month

State Track 2017

• February Students of the Month

DCPS teachers say their goodbyes after 30 years of service

February Students of the Month