Scout wrestlers four-peat, defend Butler County crown

Looking for a pin, senior Lester Palencia holds control over Aquinas wrestler Carlos Chavez. Palencia won both of his matches that night by pin.

Kasey Stallbaum

Prevailing over East Butler and Aquinas, the David City High School Scout Wrestlers hosted the annual Butler County Triangular on Jan. 14 in the Activities Center.

The night started with a dual between DCHS and East Butler. Out of 13 wrestlers, four won by pin, including junior Ryan Worm (182), sophomores Matt Eilers (195) and Seth Styskal (106), and senior Lester Palencia (113). Other wins included junior Lee Betzen (145) and senior Trent Daro (120)  by point decision, and freshman Justin White (138), seniors Dustin Papa (152), Morgen Valentine (160) and Raymond Fuller (220), junior Daniel White (285), and sophomore Melvin Hernandez by open weight class. The Scouts prevailed with a score of 67-12.

“This meet holds a lot of tradition and each team has the ability of producing quality teams,” Head Coach Tahner Thiem said. “We had some tough competition, but overall we did good.”

Following an Aquinas win of 60-21 against East Butler, the Scouts took the mat facing Aquinas. The two teams battled back and forth, with the Scouts winning with a score of 47-28. Scout wrestlers who won by pin were Papa, Valentine, Palencia, Daro, and Justin White. Wins by point decision included Worm and Hernandez, and Styskal won by fault of an open weight class.

“It was good to see so many people there supporting us,” freshman Justin White said. “I felt like we could have done better, but there’s always room for improvement.”

Alumni wrestlers from both DCHS and East Butler were invited to attend the Triangular and be recognized for their accomplishments from the last 50 years of wrestling together. A push-up contest was also held during the night, with names drawn to battle against either a Butler County Sheriff or a wrestling coach to see who could do the most push-ups in two minutes. The winner received a champion’s belt that will be passed on at next year’s Triangular.

The Scout wrestlers will host the 15-team David City Invitational on Jan. 22 in the DCHS Activities Center, with action beginning at 11 a.m.

“We’re going to be working a lot more on our feet in the next week and become more confident with our go-to shot,” Thiem said. “We plan to become more aggressive and mentally prepared so we win Districts and Conference, then take State and win State Duals!”