December Students of the Month

Scoop Staff

Shelby

Seventh Grade: Shelby Hein is the daughter of John and Tracy Hein and sister to Wiley Hein. She is involved in FFA, volleyball, basketball, track, and softball. When she has freetime, Shelby likes to spend it at home with her family.

Shelby feels that she is a good person because she always gives 100% effort and is kind to everyone. She believes that she was chosen for Student of the Month because she always gets her work done and gives her all, all of the time. Her first reaction when she found out was that she was super surprised.

• What is your favorite Christmas movie? My favorite Christmas movie is Elf.
  • What is your favorite part about Christmas? My favorite part about Christmas is opening presents and being with my family. 

Kirsten

Eighth Grade: Kirsten Bell is the daughter of Joy Woita and Rodney Bell. She has one sister, Brooke Bell, who is currently a sophomore at David City High School. Kirsten is involved in FFA, FCA, Band, and is a part of Blue House. Qualities that many teachers have noticed about her include how helpful she is with other students, how caring she is, and how kind she is to her teachers and classmates.

When Kirsten found out she was Student of the Month, she said she was super excited and couldn’t believe it. Kirsten feels she is a leader because she is always helping out classmates.. Kirsten spends most of her free time at home playing the violin and piano.

• What is your favorite Christmas movie? Home Alone 2. It’s a hilarious movie and it teaches you how to survive on your own when you’re lost in a big city.
  • What is your favorite part about Christmas? Getting to see my family because I don’t get to see them very often.

Josie

Freshman: Josie Cudaback is the daughter of Jeff and Christine Cudaback of Bellwood. Activities Josie is involved in include FFA and FCCLA. Josie also plans on doing Speech this year. In her free time, Josie likes to cook, paint, work, and do farm chores with her siblings Jess and Jerri Anne.

Josie thinks she was chosen to be Student of the Month because she tries to befriend everyone and is always in a good mood. Josie said she was filled with joy when she found out she was chosen and that joy hasn’t left her yet.

“I am always trying to get everything on the ball and turned in on time. Many may say I’m a try-hard, but I take that as a compliment. I enjoy over-exceeding and making my teachers and family proud,” Josie said.

• What is your favorite Christmas movie? My most favorite Christmas movie of all time is Miracle on 34th Street. It’s an oldie, but a goodie.
  • What is your favorite part about Christmas? My favorite part about Christmas is all the joy that fills the air. Everyone is beaming with spirit, and everything seems jolly. I feel like no one can be in a bad mood during Christmas time because it’s the most wonderful time of the year.

Renee Edit

Sophomore: Renee Backstrom is the daughter of Mike and Amy Backstrom of David City. She has one older brother, Wade. Renee likes to keep busy with school by participating in sports, activities, and organizations such as volleyball, basketball, the Platinum Dance team, Desiree’s Dancers, Student Council, STAY-U, Scoop, and Quiz Bowl. Being involved in so many activities doesn’t allow her to have much free time, she said. Renee mostly spends her time working on homework.

Renee said that she is very helpful to others and tries to keep a positive attitude. She said that she shows her leadership inside the classroom and on the court by helping to take charge even when she isn’t asked to.

“I am a good student and try to make it easy for teachers to teach and for others to learn,” Renee said.

• What is your favorite Christmas movie? All claymation old time movies like Rudolph and Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town.
  • What is your favorite part about Christmas? Spending time with family.

Becca

Junior: Rebecca Meusch is the daughter of Ron and Lori Meusch. Her siblings are Andy (25), Brad (22), and Tony (19). Andy works, and Brad and Tony attend UNL. Becca is involved in volleyball, One-Act, speech, track and field. She is also involved in Scoop, Stay-U, Student Council, NHS, Quiz Bowl and FFA. With her free time she likes to hang out with her friends and work on her business called Becca’s Creations that she started through FFA for her record keeping project.

Becca feels she is a leader with showing her skills by trying her absolute best at everything. She tries to help underclassmen by giving them advice in sports and especially One-Act and speech. Becca was really surprised that she was chosen for Student of the Month because she has been trying harder in her classes lately and said it’s nice to see her hard work doesn’t go unrecognized.

• What is your favorite Christmas movie? My favorite Christmas movie would have to be Elf. Will Ferrell is my favorite actor of all time.
  • What is your favorite part about Christmas? Christmas to me would feel incomplete without the Hallmark Channel, hot chocolate, and candy canes.

Brittney

Senior: Brittney Randall is the daughter of Sheila Smith and step-daughter of David Smith of David City. Brittney has one sister, Courtney Randall, and one brother, Taylor Randall. Activities Brittney enjoys staying involved in include Choir, One-Act, and working at Amigos in David City. Outside of school, Brittney is either working, doing homework, or spending time with friends.

First finding out she was Student of the Month, Brittney said she was shocked but really happy, especially because she found out on her birthday. Brittney feels she was considered Student of the Month because she has been trying harder and has been more interactive in classes this year. Brittney tries to be a leader inside the classroom by helping teachers and doing things other people may not want to do outside the classroom.

“If people are in a bad situation or down about something, I always try to help them get in a positive attitude,” Brittney said. “I’m pretty easy to talk to, so I’m always here for people. I like helping people out, that’s my biggest thing.”

• What is your favorite Christmas movie? Definitely How The Grinch Stole Christmas. The first time I ever watched it, I was with my grandma from my dad’s side, and she made it really fun to watch. She would interact with the movie and me, so every time I see it I always think about her, and it brings back good memories for Christmas.
  • What is your favorite part about Christmas? I go to South Dakota to see my family up there every year. We don’t really get to see them as often as we’d like, so we like to go down and visit the rest of my family.